Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: My proposal

From: Zandra Marie Pavicic <zpavicic@vt.edu>
Date: 19 May 1996 20:56:38 GMT
Subject: Re: My proposal
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

ariusz@byd.ternet.pl (Ariusz Nowak) wrote:

> And here's my proposal for all of you:
>
> I would like to know your favourite songs of Kate. For instance it would be
> sort of Top 5 of her recordings. I'm sure you like
> that songs for some speacial reasons so please tell about them.

   OK but I am afraid after this my "fandom" may be questioned!
None-the-less, here I go...

1. Jig Of Life - It's the feel of the song...the fiddle, Kate, JCB...
	it's emotive and passionate. This song beyond this also has a
	very personal place for me because this song I connect with
	the first of a short series of very serious accidents..."the
	first time I died"-ATL...(bones broken, concussion and amnesia)
	...a very frightening thing really, not to know who you
	yourself are when you wake up.  So I picked up a theme...
	"com'on let me live!"

2. This Woman's Work - I love the romance of just Kate on the piano.
	However, again I've attached this to my traumas.  I connect
	this with my second severe accident (only 3 months later with
	the same results save for the amnesia - deja "f**ken" vu!)...I
	was willing to give up...I didn't care.  I was SO angry that
	the bastards that had done this to me didn't finish the job.
	Then, I stepped outside myself and saw all the worried people
	around me...and well, I wore the shoes of both characters in
	this song.  I guess I didn't want to die that way.  This song
	is like a lined cloud that lifted me from my own hell. And...
	I "love [her] for that"-ETM

3. Moments Of Pleasure - I am just a fool for Kate at her piano anytime
	but this is no fool song.  I can imagine Kate's reasons for
	writing this song (not too difficult since I have also read
	all the available material about it).  Life passed in a "moment"
	and then all we are left with are the photographs, pictures
	that are worth a lifetime!  I lost a couple albums of these
	pictures so I guess I can appreicate the ones I have left
	even more and am encouraged make up for my losses.

4. All the Love - The opening just always gets me, "the first time I
	died"  The song has a eerie sense to it that just makes my
	skin crawl.  This (I note) is a song of grief, a song of
	regret and "I've been one acquainted with the night" -Frost

5. Big Stipey Lie - Really this's Kate's least exceptional work
	especially in terms of her instrumental ablilties (namely the
	guitar).  But in even the crude song it still has an aesthetic
	quality to it and I wouldn't hesitate to include it as one of
	Her MistressPieces.  Nigel's violin silently weeping throughout
	the song just adds to the trance it casts upon me.  Though
	even with this, I still go to a pang when I hear "blow trumpets."

6. Violin
7. Breathing
8. Under the Ivy
9. Love and Anger
10. Eat the Music

   "...let me steal this moment from you now..."
    "some Moments of Pleasure"  -   Kate Bush

 Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
                Blacksburg, VA  24060