Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Om mani padme hum.

From: "Stuart M. Castergine" <scasterg@dispatch.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 22:52:28 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Om mani padme hum.
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

On 17 May 1996, IAN RICHARD CHILTON wrote:

> Any true Kate fan would know where she uses the lyric 'Om mani padme hum', I
> mean for Christ's sake it's on her first bloody album, so get a bloody copy
> whoever first asked about it!!!

Oh my,someone accused of not being a "True Fan". I gues someone else is
going to be doing penance. You must be the new high priest on the block.

  And while I'm having my slag off, what a load
> of bollox you lot out there are talking about:  Who gives a fuck about Tori
> Amos' involvement with Kate's music.

Several people, obviously.

... Christ's sake ... bloody ... bloody ... load of bollox .... gives a
fuck ... don't fucking listen ....

My, I love it when the British swear. Just makes me feel sorry we ever
dumped all that tea in the water.

>  If you don't like Tori, don't fucking
> listen to her.  I mena it's always the same: 'If you can't stand the heat get
> out of the kitchen!!!!!!'  Now why don't you lot start talking about the real
> basis of Kate's work.

Yeah, lets.

> Firstly does anybody expect Kate to be stupid enough to use lyrics that she
> doesn't understand the meaning to:

Yes. Kate sez:

"Well, it's a buddhist chant actually, and I couldn't actually tell you
what it means because unfortunately I don't practice Buddhism. But it's a
passion mantra, and it's really just a mediative - blah - chant that
people use when they're in a state of higher being." (1979, Personal Call)

> everything in Kate's verse has a meaning,

That's completly different from her understanding the meaning.

> and if yo don't know that, then you don't know the music.

I beg to differ.

> Also you don't have
> to always understand Kate's lyrics, or where she's coming from:  Kate is a
> musician, and she expresses her feelings through the music as well as the
> lyrics, so next time feel the music!!!!!

I feel a faint vibration from the bass through the floor up into my feet.
Fascinating.

> Also the ninth wave is a conceptual piece, loosely based on the Shakespeare
> play HAMLET,  it tells the story of Ophelia, Hamlet's wife, and her strugle in
> the water on an emotional as well as physical level.

Oh, really? When has Kate ever said anything like that. Here's her
explanation:

"I think it was an idea I probably got a few years ago of someone being in
the water for the night, and hadn't really tried it until this album. It's
hard to say where it came from. I can only pinpoint certain war films as
imagery that would suggest it, things like The Cruel Sea, those kind of
old war films, where the people were being cast into the water, having
really been through kind of a heavy experience already. And the thing of
actually launching from that, so that's the basis of the body in the
water, but then the head travels off as the night goes on."

Never once, that I could find, has she said anything about Hamlet or
Ophelia as a source for the Ninth Wave.

>  Also the picture for
> ninth wave is based upon a famous painting of Ophelia, but I don't know who
> painted it (I'll find out)

Not exactly. Here's probably what you were thinking of.

"When I met you in your dance studio in london, I saw a painting against
the wall that we were laughing about. It was a satire of that
pre-raphaelite painting of ophelia drowned in the reeds, this one was in a
polluted river. Now on the inside cover sheave of the hounds of love
there's a picture of you in the water, like ophelia. Is that a deliberate
connection?"

"Not a conscious connection, no, but I'm sure that that imagery is there
very strongly. Ophelia is one of those beautiful paintings, its
extraordinary. And I think my attraction to Ophelia in the first place is
what made me get that painting. So it's probably still quite
subconsciously strong there in me." (1985, Late November, The New Music)

> If you want a good book to read try: Kate Bush, A Visual Documentary, published
> by Maxwell( or perhaps MacMillan).

And *you* try

<http://scott.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~rjc/hyper_cloud/cloudbusting.html>

The Cloudbusting page.

Also check out the Garden (I can't remember that URL right now and I
don't have a bookmark for it on this particular machine.)

> Bye

Bye. My, that horse of yours is high. Maybe you'd better come down off it
before you hurt yourself.

And don't go lashing out at people. It doesn't feel good, does it?

> Ian

Stu

scasterg@dispatch.com == Stuart M. Castergine        |              ---
All young gentle dreams drowning                     | "Mmm, yes."   |/
In life's grief                                      |               |\
Can you hang on to me? --Kate Bush, _Big Stripey Lie_|