Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mistaken Lyrics (no,not those ones)

From: rhonda@enterprise.ca (Tiny Dancer)
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 13:49:55 -0400
Subject: Mistaken Lyrics (no,not those ones)
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Greetings my gaffarian friends!

I've been following the recent discussion re: certain words
in certain songs which shall remain nameless at this juncture.
And as you people usually do, you've set me to remembering
some Kate lyrics that I've been mistaken or confused about.

My first real live actual Kate album was "The Kick Inside" on 8-track tape
(kids, ask your parents about these), so, of course no lyrics.I literally wore
out the tape playing it on my portable, ever-so-casually-flung-over-my-shoulder
8-track/ AM Radio player (I thought I was SO cool) singing things like this:

>From "THP":
                   >I love the beauty of rare innocence
                     I love the beauty of "wearing no scents"
                   >They read me Gurdjieff and Jesu
         (admit it, without the lyrics you had no idea what she sang here)

>From "TMWTCIHE":
                             >And here I am again my girl
                               And here I am again "Margot"

                            >I just took a trip on my love for him
                               I just "to betray all" my love for him

>From "Feel It":
                       >Here comes one and one makes one
                         Here comes "my one minced wand"
                       >The glorious union, well, it could be love
                         The gloriuous "you", well, it could be love
                       >Or it could be just lust but it will be fun
                         Or it could be just "a laugh" but it "would be fine"
                       >So keep on a-moving in, keep on tuning in
                        "Some people are" moving in, "people are" tuning in

>From "OTBIL":
                       >Why did you make it so unreal?
                         Why did you make it so "ugly"?
                       >Everything they say seems to sound new
                         Everything they say seems to sound "good"
                       >Stop the swing of the pendulum, let us through!
                         Stop the swing of the pendulum, let "it stew"!

>From "L'ALSLY":
                         >I'm hanging on the Old Goose Moon
                           I'm hanging on the Old "Blue Schooner"

>From "RFTL":
                   >No, we never die for long
                     No, we never "dive alone"
                   >Oh-woman, two in one
                     Oh-woman, "I turn around"

As for the title song, forget it, I didn't have a clue but for a few select lines.
The whole experience of seeing the lyrics for this album years later was astounding.
It opened up a whole new world for me! She really was an intelligent writer after all.
Anyone else go through something similar, singing your own versions 'till you finally
got to read the lyrics? I now have a kate.txt file with all her words displayed on my
screen when I need them. I love this "new" technology.

Cheers,

Tiny Dancer

                             where on your palm is my little line
                                 when you're written in mine
                                        as an old memory?
                                          from "Jig Of Life"

Recently renovated! Must be seen to be believed!
   http://www.enterprise.ca/~rhonda/index.html
                  A steal at any price!