Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

more strange translations

From: Rolf.Peukert@Theoinf.TU-Ilmenau.DE (Rolf Peukert)
Date: Tue, 14 May 96 08:28:31 +0200
Subject: more strange translations
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

konnichi wa,

in school I had a course in Japanese, but it was on an optional basis.
So, although I found it very interesting, I rarely did my homework ;-),
didn't learn as much as I should and forgot almost everything very soon.
I still have a dictionary, but all these "translations" should rather be
considered vague guesses. And, translating Japanese character by character
without knowing the whole word, as I try here, can lead to irritating or
amusing results.

The Illustrated Collectors Guide shows the cover of the Japanese vinyl
of "The Kick Inside". Surprise surprise, it has the same title as the CD.
But the Japanese "Moving" single (b/w Wuthering Heights) is called
nage ki no tenshi, which means "Angel of sorrow". (!?)

Now it gets stranger: when I try to translate the title of the Japanese
"Never for Ever" vinyl that's shown on page 16, i get
ma monogatari = "Demon story" (!?)

And the Argentinian issue is called "Nunca mas" (never more), and not
"Nunca para siempre".

And when I think about what the German translators do to movie titles,
we're lucky we can buy untranslated records.

sayonara & adios
Rolf