Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate and "Witches"...

From: "Warren C. Couvillion" <billy@erc.msstate.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 15:38:37 -0500
Subject: Re: Kate and "Witches"...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

NinthWaver wrote:

> For an excellent current discussion of the "Witch trials" in Europe, see
> Carl Sagan's brilliant discourse DEMON-HAUNTED WORLD. He debunks all "new
> age fads," especially alien visitation, and considers an even more
> frightening contemporary problem: the trend toward antiscience. Highly
> recommended.

	While I'm not a beleiver in alien visitations, I have read Sagan's
"debunking" of alien abductions in "Parade" magazine.  It wasn't a
debunking at all, since  Sagan used a circular argument:  descriptions
of alien abductions resemble tales of demon abductions from the middle
ages, and since we know those aren't true, there must not alien
abductions.

If you accept abductions, then the resemblence of UFO abductees to demon
abductees is explained by both sets of abductees explaining there
experiences using what they know: the medieval used religious imagery
and modern day abductees use science fiction imagery.  Sagan's argument
therefore is a refutation of the non-existence of alien abductions only
if you accept that there are no alien abductions.

I'm _not_ arguing that UFO abductions are real.  I'm only trying to
point out a flaw in Sagan's argument against them.  For someone who
calls so strongly for "objectivity", Sagan seems unable to keep his own
biases from allowing him to see the flaws in his arguments.

Uh, I guess I should get this back on topic.  Do you think Kate's ever
been abducted by UFO's?  Do you think she's ever met Carl Sagan?

				BC
       ( Check out http://www.erc.msstate.edu/~billy )
                        \\
                    ~~   )