Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TWW particulars?

From: dlangs@sunstroke.sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford)
Date: 30 Apr 1996 19:24:48 GMT
Subject: Re: TWW particulars?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

pdaniel@nitco.com wrote:
: Howdy...

: I've been oogling the This Woman's Work box at my local disc emporium - and
: I'm curious how much the box usually goes for? The asking price of $170
: seems like a lot.

It is a bit pricey but the price has varied widely depending on where you get
it and which set it is (Japanese, UK or Canadian).

: I'm also wondering if it is difficult to find the box set (so I should buy
: it no matter how much it costs)? And fineally, does it hold haunting tracks
: that a Kate fan should not live without hearing?

It is not common anymore.  It initally was made in the UK and Japan and went
out of print.  In Canada the UK set was being sold at domestic prices.  A few
years later Canada repressed the set fo a brief while putting Canadian
manufactured sets on the market.  I think all are now out of print.

$170 would be OK for a UK or Japanese set although they were selling for $125
in some places.  $170 would be too much for the Canadian set.

While being overpriced from the outset, it is even more so now with all
of the album CDs being sold separately at mid-prices in the UK.  What
makes the set special though are the two additional discs of non-album
material.  And that includes the incredibly haunting, most wonderful
"Under the Ivy".  But it's only 2 mins long :-(

The two discs have been bootlegged as separate volumes.  TWWI and TWWII
and there's a TWWIII out there which catches you up from TWWII to Rocket Man.

: I'm listening...

It all depends on what you already have.  UK and Japanese CDs are better
than the US CDs of Kate's albums but if you already have either it is
really hard to justify spending that amount of money unless you have
lots to give away :-)

That's all IMO of course.

Derek
Derek H. Langsford                               dlangs@sunstroke.sdsu.edu
Dept. of Biology                                 Tel. (619) 594 2885
San Diego State University