Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: ReL Hello Earth, the messages

From: gallamw@mollybloom.msfc.nasa.gov (Mike Gallaher)
Date: 1 May 1996 17:26:21 GMT
Subject: Re: ReL Hello Earth, the messages
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In article <4m7o20$a0o@bbcnews.rd.bbc.co.uk>, evans@rd.bbc.co.uk (Richard Evans) writes:
|> Chris Hansen @ Work (chris@kiva.com) wrote:
|> : Bryan wrote:
|>
|> :     those of us on the spaceship Earth, with a free annual journey around a
|> :     star at about a distance of 93 million miles.
|>
|> : So I write:
|> : Where or whom do I contact to redeem my frequent flyer miles?  Any neat prizes?
|>
|> Ha ha !
|>
|> Never mind the trip round the Sun - what about the constantly expanding
|> universe ?
|> This _is_ the Monty Pyton newsgroup isn't it ?
|>
|> All those in favour of "Columbia now at nine times the speed of sond..." say
|> Aye
|>
|> rhe
Considering that the recordings are presumably legitimate clips of communications
with the NASA Space Shuttle, they must derive from mission STS-8, launched
August 30, 1983, which was the only flight sufficiently prior to the release
of HOL that included onboard anyone named "Dan," namely Daniel Brandenstein,
who, as pilot of the mission, is the person who would most likely be
reporting flight data to the ground.  That mission was flown on the Orbiter
Challenger, not Columbia.

For what it's worth, I always thought the words were:
"...clocking you now at nine times the speed of sound."

-- Mike