Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

witches and cars

From: Rolf.Peukert@Theoinf.TU-Ilmenau.DE (Rolf Peukert)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 96 17:05:00 +0200
Subject: witches and cars
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hi,

while I never cared much about Kate's spirituality (probably because
I'm not a very religious person myself), a lot of people probably do
and want to know about it.
Maybe we ("we" in this case means work for Uli :-) should really add
something to the FAQ:

Q: Kate used christian/buddhist/pagan... elements in some of her songs.
   So what is her own religion?

A: Kate was raised as Roman Catholic ("I would never say I was a strict
   follower of Roman Catholic belief, but a lot of the images are in
   there; they have to be, they're so strong."), and she has read or
   heard a lot about various other religions and philosophies.
   But just because she uses certain imageries for her work that
   doesn't mean she's Wiccan/Pagan/Buddhist/whatever in private life,
   There isn't any evidence for that.
     She sometimes has given vague answers when asked directly, so
   her religious beliefs aren't easily definable or she just doesn't
   want us to know.
   ("I think I'm looking for not necessarily religion, but ways of
   helping myself to become more understanding, more complete, a happier
   person - what we all want in life. But I really don't think I've
   found a niche." 1990, Q Special)

This is just a proposal. Maybe we should add or remove something
(my grammatical and spelling errors perhaps :-), maybe someone has
a much better answer.

Samantha wrote:
> ...  It is quite evident from her music that she has a spiritual
> side and therefore, commenting, questioning, discussing it is quite relevant.
> Discussing her status as a driver/non-driver isn't.

why not? It may be a result of my limited comprehension of English language,
but I wondered for a long time if "Don't Push Your Foot on the Heart Brake"
was only meant in a metaphorical sense or if there was some real-life
background.

Note: This is a posting from someone who found out last week that
"The Amazing Pudding" [an expression from the Cloudbusting archive] is a
Pink Floyd fanzine and not a pet name for Kate, as he thought before ;-)

bye,
Rolf