Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: religious wars on love-hounds

From: lombaeg@mail.interpac.be (Emmy May Lombaerts)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 11:59:50 GMT
Subject: Re: religious wars on love-hounds
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hiya everyone,

   Having just read through the last couple of digests, I was
astonished to find this lot.. . I always thought Kate being a witch
was the kind of thing people who don't like her say because they just
don't get her music (hello dad! :) ).. .

   But whether or not Kate is Pagan, or Wiccan, as ninthwaver@aol.com
suggests... I honestly don't know, and quite frankly, does it matter?
If Kate were Wiccan, wouldn't that be solely her business? After all,
she has the right to a private life too.. .

    Anyway, about her music... Certainly, there are a lot of religious
references and what I for lack of a better word will call 'unearthly
qualities' in it... . On the whole, it's very deep and spiritual.. .

   But the religious and spiritual references seem to come from
everywhere... Buddhism, Paganism, and how about ".The Disbelieving
Angel", and the big white dove in "Stranded At Moonbase"?

   On the whole I think spiritualism is something Kate is very
interested in, something that fascinates and inspires her.. But just
because she uses those imageries for her work that doesn't necessarily
mean she's Wiccan/Pagan/Buddhist/whatever.. Maybe she's just, like
Chris put it, an interested outsider.. .

  I'm an atheist myself, but I'm still very interested in the
spiritual side of life and strongly believe that there is more to this
existence than we can see, that there are many different planes..

  By the way I  agree with you wholeheartedly Chris, when you say that
religion is very often thrust upon is.. It's probably even worse in
the States than it is here, with all those powerful cults there luring
people into their way of thinking.. .

   I do think that the flames got a little out of hand though.. We all
have to follow our own paths in life, and just because someone's
beliefs differ from ours doesn't mean that they're wrong, it just
means that they're different.. .

    We should all respect the others'right to choose which
belief-system makes them happy and more fulfilled, and accept that
choice even if it turns out to be something we ourselves wouldn't
really go for.. Religion should be used as a crutch to lean on, not
one to hit others over the head with.. .

       just my two cents,

                 Emmy.

Emmy May Lombaerts
lombaeg@mail.interpac.be        Krd@www.dma.be

http://www.dma.be/p/bewoner/Krd/

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
'And Is It Right, Butterfly, They like You Better Framed And Dried?' ~
                                   Tori Amos
o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-