Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Kate Bush Fantasy Cover Album

From: marksuss@aol.com (MarkSuss)
Date: 21 Apr 1996 09:25:41 -0400
Subject: Re: The Kate Bush Fantasy Cover Album
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Oh, on the note of Kate covers, I was at the Sun Mountain Cafe in New York
City for one of its performers this past Saturday night.  However, I often
arrive earlier or stay later to see who else is playing.  Saturday, I did
both.  The first performer of the evening was Connie Lofton.  She remarked
that she was an "anglophile" and liked to visit England.  In the middle of
her set, she said that her next song was by a Brit.  Then I heard the
first few chords of "Running Up That Hill".  Of course, with her husky,
folk- blues alto voice, she was definitely not going for a Kate-like
sound, but it was a faithful performance, and very good for someone who
wasn't Kate. (*grin*)

The last performer I saw for the evening was Dorothy Scott.  Although she
didn't cover any Kate songs, she has a quirky voice that may appeal to
Kate fans.  However, there may be a thin line to cross, perhaps because of
her voice, or the content of her lyrics, or all the guitar play, so it may
not be entirely tolerable, even to you Kate fans who are willing to try
her with an open mind.

T'ta, Love!
Mark Susskind <MarkSuss@aol.com>