Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TSW: Diffs in Single Groove/Double Groove 12" EP?

From: Joseph.Levy@zippo.com
Date: 19 Apr 1996 09:55:49 -0700
Subject: TSW: Diffs in Single Groove/Double Groove 12" EP?
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Since this is my first posting, let me introduce myself by saying that
I've been a major KaTe fan since 1987. Ifan Payne's article in issue
45 of The Absolute Sound (http://www.absolutesound.com/) inspired me to
immediately go out and purchase all of her available LP's and I've been
hooked ever since. And, in December, 1994, I was lucky enough to meet the
Lady, Herself, at the Tower Records signing in NYC.

The question I have may have been answered some years back, but I've
only been on line for a few months and didn't see it mentioned in the FAQ
or elsewhere so...

I recently purchased a "double-groove" copy of The Sensual World 12" EP.
This is the version that has both the vocal and instrumental tracks
intertwined on the A side; one or the other plays depending on where the
stylus falls. Going back to my collection, I noticed that the example I had
originally purchased as a "standard" or "single-groove" EP also had the
double-groove. Yet, there is no indication on either the label or jacket
that either is anything other than the stock 12" 3-song item.

I called a friend who examined his white-label promo copy and reported it
to also be the double-groove variety (it's easiest to tell by looking in
the run-out area near the label- you'll see two end grooves spiralling
inward, 180 degrees opposite each other).  Also, page 78 of Godwin's
"Collector's Guide" lists this variety as a promo only piece.

The question is: was the double-groove TSW ever advertised as such on the
label or jacket and are my copies just flukes, or were they mixed in at
random with the regular TSW 12"ers? Does anyone out there have both versions
and can they post the differences including stamper number, etc. (The
stamper on the A side of both of mine are handwritten as "12 EM 102 A-1-1-1."
The B side stamper is a die-cut impression that says "Penthouse [space]
12EM 102 B-2-1-1."

Thanks in advance!

                                           -JL