Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Dreaming Plug

From: SamiT007@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 17:02:55 -0400
Subject: Re: Dreaming Plug
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

>   ...so, if the ground (minus) is broken, you get the left positive signal
>into the left ear, the right positive signal going to the right ear. The
>result is that *nothing* that appears in both the left and right channels
>equally (like Kate's lead vocal) is heard. Things that are exclusively
>in one channel or the other are heard very distinctly.

>   Another way is to rewire your speakers in the following way:
>
>Amplifier               Speaker
>  + --------------------o    /
>L                        }|{|   Left Speaker
>  -           o---------o    \
>  + ----------|---------o    /
>R             |          }|{|   Right Speaker
>  -           o---------o    \
>
>   Just disconnect both minus wires from the amp. Usually the speaker
>connectors are red for positive and black for negative. Unhook both
>negative wires and twist them together. Cover the exposed wires with
>tape. There you have it, a "Dreaming Speaker System".

Hi. I've been trying to figure out this "Dreaming Plug" for a while now, and
I thought this explanation was so simple I could be sure to get it to work;
 however, after messing around behind my stereo and speakers for half an
hour, I gave it up.  Is there a reason, not mentioned, why this wouldn't work
on my stereo?  I can't get this too work for the life of me.  I get the
impression that Kate's lead vocals will not be heard or will be more subdued
if the Dreaming Plug is done correctly--am I correct in this assumption?
 When I followed these directions, the sound from my speakers was overall
muted.  I played a CD in my stereo which I had hooked up like the above
directions say, and then I played the same CD on another stereo which was
hooked up normally.  Other than a definite better resolution in the Other
stereo, there wasn't a bit of difference.  Can someone explain in simple
terms (for a completely non-technical person) what I may be doing wrong or
how I can try it a different way or what I can do better?  Much thanks...

ta-ta,
~~~Samantha