Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Performer as "Artist"

From: yaye@pipeline.com (Samantha Pena)
Date: 29 Mar 1996 12:43:19 -0500
Subject: Re: The Performer as "Artist"
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

violet@slip.net wrote:

>Regardless of what we wish or think Kate should do, she is the one
creating her "art."  She's said before, >in a variety of ways, that once
she's done something, she's done it and doesn't feel the desire to keep
>doing that particular thing.

But considering I've seen several statements (in print and on video) from
Kate discussing how much she did want to tour at one point -- even noting
that as a particular area she wanted to explore and expand -- it bothers me
that she may have given into some of her worst tendencies.  It's way too
easy to let your fears get the best of you -- though I do have first-hand
understanding about stage fright following a time of performing.  The "I
don't want to repeat myself" argument seems a bit hollow and a nice
rationalization.

Ultimately, it's her life and whatever she chooses is fine, but it could
potentially inject some fresh excitement into her music and life to have
another area to express herself. Not to mention what it would do for all of
us!! :-)
--

Samantha
 aka Yaye Kazu -  not to be confused with the other Samantha or the

"Everybody should be able to make some music -- it's the cosmic dance!"
Maude to Harold in "Harold & Maude"