Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Shocked

From: "Stuart M. Castergine" <scasterg@dispatch.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 08:46:34 -0500 (EST)
Subject: RE: Shocked
To: "Forward, Jonathan" <JForward@sitgbsd1.telecom.com.au>
cc: "rec.music.gaffa" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Forward, Jonathan wrote:

>  Hmmm - sorry, maybe I should have explained. I think this is the
>  first time I've seen anything about Michelle Shocked on r.m.g.,
>  whereas she's all over the place in a.m.a.f.; i.e. there's a
>  better place to be looking for that sort of info.

Ah, OK. Sorry.

>  P.S. other female artists? What, like Kylie Minogue?

Oh yeah, and Debbie Gibson. We want lots of talk about Debbie Gibson.
Really, I just always feel weird about saying "alternative" artists
because it's such a meaningless word. Alternative to what? Some of the
people called alternative are heavily in the mainstream. Others are not.
And the stylistic differences are so wide as to defy similarity in some
cases. Everything from Jane Siberry to Bjork to Kate to Alanis
Morrissette gets called alternative at one time or another.

I think what we all mean is "women who don't play brainless commercial
pop." As if we could agree on who is included in that definition.

Stu

scasterg@dispatch.com == Stuart M. Castergine        |              ---
All young gentle dreams drowning                     | "Mmm, yes."   |/
In life's grief                                      |               |\
Can you hang on to me? --Kate Bush, _Big Stripey Lie_|