Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KATE BUSH - HER NEW (GAELIC) SONG - FAQ

From: Wieland Willker <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 13:40:32 -0100
Subject: KATE BUSH - HER NEW (GAELIC) SONG - FAQ
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

*** Mna Na h-Eireann ***

KATE BUSH - HER NEW (GAELIC) SONG - FAQ

Album: "Common Ground - Celtic Voices"
        from Premier Records (part of EMI)

Proposed release date: 6th May

Track list:
***********
Maire Brennan	O Bhean A'Ti (accent on the 'O')
Tim & Neil Finn	Mary of the South Seas
Bono & Adam Clayton	Tomorrow
Sharon Shannon	Cavan Potholes
Paul Brady	Help Me to Believe
Sinead O'Connor	On Raglan Road
Brian Kennedy	As I Roved Out
Elvis Costello	The Night Before Larry Was Stretched
Kate Bush	Mna Na h-Eireann (accent on the 'a' in Mna)
David Spillane & Donal Lunny	Whistling Low/Errigal
Andy Irvine	My Heart's Tonight in Ireland
Liam O Maonlai	Cathain
Christy Moore	Bogie's Bonnie Belle

- Rumours have it, that it will be an enhanced CD (=CD-ROM).

KLN reports:
"Snakes/Mna na h-Eireann", the second (Gaelic) half of which is a quite
popular  Irish poem. According to McKeown it's been put to music by several
people lately, "And Kate Bush even did it for a compilation that's coming
out soon." In case anybody cares (or better yet, can translate :), here
are the words as sung  by McKeown:

Ta' bean in E'irinn a phronnfadh se'ad damh is mo sha'ith le n-o'l
Is ta' bean in E'irinn is ba bhinne le'ithe mo ra'fla ceoil
No' seinm the'ad; ata' bean in E'irinn is ni'orbh fhearr lei' beo
Mi'se ag le'imnigh no' leagtha i gcre' is mo tharr faoi fho'd

(To any would-be translators out there, it might help to rewrite these
words on a  piece of paper and put the "'" marks over the letters
immediately preceding them  here -- it's the only way I could type them
out. :)

[Can anyone from Ireland please TRANSLATE this for us?]

=================================
KaTe:
I've just done a song for Donal Lunny who's putting an album together of
traditional Irish music. It was fun and very challenging.
The lyrics are in Gaelic so I will eagerly await comments from all
Irish-speaking listeners in particular. I'm sure Ma gave me a helping
hand!
Much love to you, a very Happy Christmas and warm wishes for '96.
Kate x

=================================
Peter Chow reports:
"This was quite a task as she does not speak any Gaelic. She started by
getting  some books/tapes on the language and learned to pronounce the
lyrics that way. Having recorded some roughs and practiced the lyrics,
Donal flew over from Ireland to spend a few days coaching her further on
the lyrics. He then left and she completed the track and sent him a DAT to
check if all was ok.
Apparently, she had done very well as he only had to correct her on four
items before ok-ing the track.
That's it.
Best wishes
    Wieland

PS: I'm very sorry for all the "=20" things in my Sinead-post. I have no
idea, where they come from. I hope very much, this didn't prevent you from
reading it! Just use a 'Find/Replace' tool. Thank you.