Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sinead O'Connor, in love

From: Wieland Willker <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 00:08:17 -0100
Subject: Sinead O'Connor, in love
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

elmathews@aol.com (ELMathews) wrote:
>You mean she didn't kill this one?

This is so ill, the only way I can cope with it is, to ignore it.

I really love Sinead O'Connor for what she is and for what she's doing.
I first noticed her on Two Rooms, the Elton John tribute video. And it was
kind of a shock, because she was so intense. I nearly sank from the chair on
my knees, when I saw her singing ("That's Sinead O'Connor? Oh my God!").
After her performance she said only one sentence, but I instantly knew,
SHE'S A TRUE SOUL. Shortly after that I bought all of her records. :-)
I still believe that if there will ever be a singer who can reach or has
reached at some point KaTe's level of intensity it is Sinead O'Connor. This
is only MHO of course. Watch this piece above and if you don't know what I'm
talking about, I can't help you.

I know this is KaTe's list, but it's also allowed to talk about other
artists to some extent. So let me go on:
Whenever I have to defend her I say: "She's complementary to KaTe." I like
the concept of complementarity. For example the dual aspect of light: the
particle and wave models are complementary. They both describe the same
thing, but completely different and only together they can describe
everything. For me personally I always thought that Sinead and KaTe are kind
of complementary. Do you know what I mean? In some way they stand for the
same thing. From the very beginning I felt that Sinead sings with authority,
same as KaTe does. They ar both TRUE. But in many other aspects they are
completely different. That's what I love and enjoy.
(Homework: Find examples for this complementarity!)

Best wishes
    Wieland

PS: What follows is a little excerpt from an interview. READ THIS! I hope,
you then will understand me a bit, why I would defend her to death! It has
to do a lot with a girl I love very much, who still suffers from mental(?)
child abuse (Borderline syndrom), which is very hard somtimes.
Sinead O'Connor is such a strong, shining example:
"I'm not a liar and I'm not full of hatred, but I hate lies and so the liars
hate me.
But the war has started now and truth will win."

************ PLEASE READ ON! ********************

Excerpts from an Interview with the British TV station ITV 09/05/93.
"Faith & Music : Sinead O'Connor"

I was born in, well I wasn't born in but I lived in Glenagerry in county Dublin
near the sea. I've an older brother, an older sister, then me, then my younger
brother. And my parents separated when I was quite young. My mother was a very
violent woman, not a healthy woman mentally at all. She was physically and
verbally
and psychologically, spiritually and emotionally abusive to all of us. We
were battered
children basically. I was a battered child - well I am still, although I'm
not being
battered anymore. So things were fairly spiritually devoid - not
surprisingly. I was
born on the 8th of December which in this country is a national holiday.
It's the
feast of immaculate conception. So I al-ways felt a kind of a, you know,
connection
with the mother of God anyway, because I always used to get these birthday
cards
that my mother used to give me, with a lovely painting of the immaculate
conception
on it. But mostly I'd say the way I got into God and - that was because of the
circumstances I was growing up under, because I was so frightened all the
time and
I was so, I mean, the situation we were growing up in was such hell, that
there was
nothing that could possibly save us. So when I was a very young child I
asked God to
help me to get out of this situation and if he did I promised that I'd work
for him as
soon as I was able to and do whatever I could to belong to him and to serve
him -
which I believe he did do and I believe he did get me out of this situation
and that he
gave me the live that he gave me by giving me my voice. It was my voice that
got me
out of this situation. One of the ways of ensuring that we wouldn't get
beaten up
was, would be, to sing to my mother, because if we sang she would be in good
mood
and all that stuff. So there was a lot of singing going on.

I believe very much that the world is in this awful evil state that it's in
because
we were taken away from God. The only thing that can possibly save us is God.
That's the only thing that can possibly save us. And the only thing that
will make us
wake up and realise that we've been lied to and even though, even though we
think
we believe in God, we don't. We're using God's name to do all this evil.

I didn't believe for a long time, I found it hard to cope with the idea,
that Jesus
was actually, you know, God manifested in a human body. I do believe that
that's
true now, but I also believe that Jesus Christ is actually a spirit. It's a
sprit that can
exist through all of us. That God lives inside us and that we can bring that
sprit that
is Jesus Christ into the world through ourselves, if we're in touch with our
instincts,
which is how God speaks to us - through our instincts. And what they did was to
teach us to ignore all of our instincts so that we think God was outside. They
brought us up never to trust our emotions or our feelings or our instincts.
So what I
believe is that Jesus Christ is a spirit which lives inside all of us and
which can be
brought into the world through all of us, basically.
>From the time I was at very young age I used to run away from home a lot when
I was really, you know, a ???? and that. And I can remember wondering around
the
place by myself, singing to myself, yeah and making up songs to myself.
Singing and
writing for me was a way of - it started as protection obviously. It started
as a way of
expressing my own pain and my own frustration which I couldn't keep silent
although everyone around me was keeping it silent, like, like we see
happening in
the public arena - people keep quiet. They don't scream and shout, particularly
about child abuse. What happens in most people's houses is that there's silence
about it - the wall of silence. And I was determined to keep screaming and
shouting,
because if I didn't I would have died, I couldn't stand the feelings I had
inside me.
And I've always been that kind of person that I have to get it out or it
will kill me.

I did the album "Am I Not Your Girl" because I like the music but principally I
used the fact of being able to make an album of music that I like, in order
to create
the circumstances under which I could conduct my own fight against what I
see as
being evil. And the tools that I can use are the fact that I am a famous
person and
therefore can attract a lot of attention and can create a lot of discussion,
which I
obviously did by ripping up the picture of the Pope.

I could never, never regret it now. I'm very proud that I did it, I'm very
happy
that I did it. Because I understand both on an individual level and a social
level why I
did it. And I'm only sorry that I hadn't done my therapy years ago so I
would have
been able to survive that abuse without being affected by, which I feel that
I have
very much been physically and emotionally, spiritually and psychologically
affected
by the abuse that I've experienced, having ripped up the picture. And I
don't mean
the booing in Madison Square Garden, I mean general abuse. And if I didn't
believe
in God I would find that - I do find it very painful - the fact that I
believe in God
allows me to believe that it's all OK. You know what I mean? Whereas, If I
didn't,
like, I'd be dead. But actually speaking of that - I mean, the whole, -
Jesus - I came
that close to slitting my throat, THAT close to slitting my throat. I never
thought
about suicide before the whole Pope thing happened. I just couldn't deal
with what
- what they were doing was triggering everything because I hadn't dealt with
it.
And really was - the amount of times - if I had had something I would have
slit my
throat. Jake [her son] was the only thing that stopped me from it, you know.
If I didn't have a child I would have killed myself way before now.

He is quite special. And to me he's always been a comfort even when he was a
tiny baby. And that's what that song talks about -times when I was really
messed
up. And he would just look at me sometimes and just rub my face, like, and
smile
like me, like he know there was something up, and just smiled like me as if
to say:
'It's all cool, don't worry.'

I heard him saying as prayers in the church one day - we had been in Galway and
he had been out walking in these farm that we were staying on with these dogs.
And I heard him saying this prayer in the church and he said: 'I hope you
enjoyed
the walk with me and the dogs.' You know, to him. And I never said it to
him. To
him God is something that is with him constantly. He went out for a walk
with the
two dogs and God, as far as he was concerned. And when he said this prayers he
said: 'Hope you liked the walk.', which I think is really nice, the idea. If we
remembered that God is something that is with us that we're not by ourselves,
we're not on our own. You know what I mean? And for a little child like him, I
think it's amazing. I think he is a very special individual. I think you
gotta watch out
for him. If you think I was a troublemaker, fasten your seatbelts, Jake
Reynolds is on
the way.

I was determined that I was going to be like a servant of God by serving the
truth, by, by, phhh, in my own individual as well, which is not an easy
thing to do - to
face the truth in oneself. You know what I mean? To be truthful. To always,
always
tell the truth because I could see from a very young age, as I said earlier
on, that
what was happening in my house was happening because there was a lie.
Somewhere there was a lie which we still haven't found out yet but we will.

So being a Christian I have to do in any given situation what I believe Christ
would have done, which is basically love people and understand people no matter
what they've done or no matter how terrible the thing is they've done. And
if that
was put into practice really that's the only way we could survive. And I'd
say that's
what I've been trying to communicate. And that's what I've used whatever power
I had in order to try to do. And the only power I did have was the fact that
I'm a
celebrity.

      but I will rise and I will return,
         the phoenix from the flame,
               I have learned,
                I will rise,
          and you'll see me return...
                     (Sinead O'Connor)

================
from a 1995 Hot Press Interview:
Sinéad O'Connor wasn't pregnant when she originally agreed to do the
Lollapalooza tour in the United States. Nor had she bargained for the kind
of extraordinary heatwave that's currently gripping North America.
Initially, after her pregnancy had been confirmed, she thought she could go
ahead with the tour. However, a combination of morning sickness and the
debilitating effects of the heat made that impossible. She had to cancel.

Announcing the decision, Sinéad made a genuine, heartfelt plea for
understanding. "Having miscarried babies in the past, obviously I feel that
it is important for me to look after myself very well at this early stage in
my pregnancy. So again I ask forgiveness. And hope that the press won't do
their usual abusive trick on me because I just don't need that."

================
Now she has a little baby girl and I know she will be the best mother a
child can have!
================

PS: Oh, please check out "Universal Mother"!

My darling child
My darling baby
My darling child
You gave life to me