Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Om on the Range

From: stev0@zuni.chaco.com (stev0)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 09:49:56 -0800
Subject: Om on the Range
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

 "Forward, Jonathan" <JForward@sitgbsd1.telecom.com.au> Quotes:

>    In Strange Phenomena, what do the words "om mani padme hum"
>mean?
>     "Club member Matthew Toreson has sent in an explanation, which he
>found in an encyclopedia. It is a form of adoration of the Buddha, and
>means, 'Oh, the jewel in the lotus.' Thanks, Matthew."

Actually, this is a rather common mantra (really!).  Also, any Firesign
Theatre fan worth their red nose knows that Nick Danger, in his college
days, hung out at the Om Mani Padme Sigma house.

Speaking of which, on the other side of that album (or "other track
of the CD", for you Gen Xers), they quote verbatim the end soliloquy
Molly Bloom gives in James Joyce's "Ulysses", the exact same one
Kate WASN'T allowed to use for "The Sensual World".  Go figure.

- Stev0, Third Eye

P.S.  Yes, yes, I know c|net central didn't broadcast that segment on
me last weekend - I'll find out for sure when they will (hopefully THIS
weekend!)