Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Contradictions to the rule

From: violet@slip.net
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 10:37:42 -0800
Subject: Contradictions to the rule
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Heath wrote:
>It's been eight or nine years since my last class in French Literature,
>but as I recall, the poetic pronunciation of 'marche' only applies when
>the following word begins with a consonant or an aspirate h.  For example,
>the phrase 'marche vite' (walks quickly) would be pronounced 'mar=che vite'.
>However, 'marche avec' (walks with), ought to be pronounced 'marche a-vec',
>since 'avec' begins with a vowel.

Again, I'm on this, nitpicking to bits and bits. ;)  I just can't rest.

Contradictions to this by Kate are:
[IK = Le Baiser d'Infant, NT'eP = Ne T'enfuis Pas]

_Faire_ followed by a "t" (toutes) IK
_Souffle_ followed by an "s" (sur) IK
_Juste_ followed by a "t" (toucher) IK
_Tembent_ before a "c" (ce) [the "ent" ending is normally silent] NT'eP
_Blanches_ followed by an "l" (la-la-la) NT'eP
_Plume_ followed by an "s" (si) NT'eP
_Reprenne_ followed by an "s" (si) NT'eP

Our Kate even adds syllables to words that don't have e's at the end at all:
_pas_ before a "q" (qu'est-ce) IK
_mal_ before a "t" (toc-toc) IK
_fremir_ before a "j" (je) IK

So if the rule you mention does exist, I would definitely guess that Kate
isn't aware of it.

Alright. It's almost 11a.m. and I haven't been to bed yet, so I'm going to
try to give this a rest, but how much do you want to bet I'll dream about
this?
Yikes.

Violet

        +       "Jesus is coming... Look busy."         +