Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Marche marche marche, yadda yadda yadda

From: violet@slip.net
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 09:57:20 -0800
Subject: Marche marche marche, yadda yadda yadda
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Heath wrote:

>It's been eight or nine years since my last class in French Literature,
>but as I recall, the poetic pronunciation of 'marche' only applies when
>the following word begins with a consonant or an aspirate h.  For example,
>the phrase 'marche vite' (walks quickly) would be pronounced 'mar=che vite'.
>However, 'marche avec' (walks with), ought to be pronounced 'marche a-vec',
>since 'avec' begins with a vowel.
>
>I hate to be nitpicky about this (as if no one were EVER nitpicky on
>r.m.g.  ;) ;) ;), but surely Kate is more careful with her French
>pronunciation than this.

I could pretty much guarantee you that Kate wouldn't know this.  I didn't
know this, and I took French for years.  Kate has said that she is very
poor at French and doesn't know much at all.  But she certainly would be
able to construct the simple sentence that we've been discussing.  As for
how she would choose to pronounce it, that's something else.  Kate needed
extensive help in writing and learning the pronunciation for her later
French-language songs, and I doubt she would have had much help around when
she wrote the demos.  She was just a shy schoolgirl at the time and didn't
have tons of friends to ask about French, I'm guessing.

Help! Oh, Help!  I'm freaking out here.  When I started to write the titles
of the French songs in the previous paragraph, I hit a roadblock that is
giving me brain cramps.  I was going to list the songs as "Un Baiser
d'Enfant" and "Ne T'enfuis Pas."  I ran to look them up to double check and
my books list the first as "Le Baiser d'Infant" (which is prolly right, but
just always strikes me as wrong only because she sings "enfant," which of
course is "child" and not "infant").  But the second is listed variously as
either "Ne T'enfuis Pas," "Ne T'en Fui Pas," or "Ne T'en Fuis Pas,"
depending where I look.  Will the real titles please stand up?!!!  Somebody
help.  Ow ow ow, my head!

Violet
xoxox

        +       "Jesus is coming... Look busy."         +