Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Clarity on old post and "marche"

From: violet@slip.net
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 08:21:44 -0800
Subject: Clarity on old post and "marche"
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Cc: Wieland <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de>, Bryan <btd@carina.cray.com>, Emmy May <lombaeg@mail.interpac.be>
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

I originally wrote:

>>>To add my own nitpicking remark to Rolf's, who made mention of lyrics
>>>to "Feeling Like a Waltz" listed somewhere and quoted the line "L'amour
>>>--mon choux avec un etranger:  I'm surprised by that line to begin
>>>with.  See, I believe it's "L'amour marche avec un etranger" which is
>>>"Love walks with a stranger" meaning of course that love is with
>>>someone somewhere, but certainly not with her.

Jonathan replied:

>> Good suggestion, although would it not be marcher? Mon choux always
>> makes me think cauliflowers rather than love anyway, so I'm grateful
>> for your interpretation.

Then he also added:

> I wish I had my French verbs at work! Marche it would be, although that
> leaves us with only one syllable. Doesn't she sing two?

I wrote another post around that time and opted not to send it to this list
after all, since most of the stuff had been covered since, so I only sent
it to a couple of Love-Hounds privately.  But it contained a crucial piece
of information on this topic.  Here is what I wrote on this back on Feb.
22:

I'm repeating myself, but again I will throw in the ring my opinion that
Kate is saying "L'amour marche avec un etranger" (Love walks with a
stranger).  As in the other French language songs Kate has done, she
vocalises the e's at the end of words as is common in the South of France
(where Kate has spent time in the past), so her "marche" comes out as two
syllables instead of one.

Sort of important, wasn't that?  Sorry for not posting it with the other
stuff.  Hope it makes more sense now.

I have now noticed another problem here.   I believe she says marche, but
even if she IS saying "mon chou" it has no X. "Choux" is plural for either
cabbages, cream puffs, or darlings, so Kate would be saying "_Mes_ choux,"
which she does not.  So since it seems clear to most that she doesn't say
"mes," it must be "Mon chou."  N'est-ce pas? :)

Violet

P.S. I also wrote the post on the 22nd thinking that the first "Old Post"
had  gotten on the list already and no one had said anything.  I didn't
realize at the time that my mail server was ill and would soon be chucking
it back up on me.

        +       "Jesus is coming... Look busy."         +