Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

P.O.V.: Nasty lies or silly stories?

From: violet@slip.net
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 08:21:53 -0800
Subject: P.O.V.: Nasty lies or silly stories?
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Fiona wrote:
>I was struck by the part of this note that said Vickie once spent some time on
>a chat channel arguing with some guy who thought Kate had a relationship with
>some punk rocker. Could this by any chance be Hugh Cornwell of the Stranglers?
>(this part is true, not made up) I recall some stories about the time of the
>first album that said Kate was indeed going out with M. Cornwell, but the
>relationship broke up about the time Hugh spent a few months as the guest of
>Her Majesty (i.e. in prison) for possessing some naughty substances.
>Reference to this rumour is made in the "Great Pop Things" cartoon (series that
>runs in the New Musical Express) that satirizes Kate's career.
>Can anyone confirm/deny?

I don't know anything about this, but I will point out the obvious fact
that Kate DID, in fact, have a romantic life before Del.  It's not a dirty
secret that she dated people.  Didn't she and Del get together around the
time of the tour, which was after the first album?  This would have made it
possible for Kate to have been dating someone around the time mentioned
above.  Honestly, though, at this point in time, who would this really
matter to?

We can't begin to know the names of the guys she went out with.  She's not
a tramp, but she's not the Virgin Mary, either.  She's simply a woman, and
she's had a past the same as all of us.  It's normal.

Anyway, I agree that it's not really doing well to talk of Kate's "amours"
anymore.  I didn't see it as starting out as possible food for rumors, but
only as a fun way of telling real whoppers that I thought halfway smart
folks would plainly see as being way over the top of reality.  Now I
realize that there must be some people who cannot tell a whopper from the
truth and who must be traveling the world at this very moment looking for
Paul Bunyan and his blue ox, Babe.  Oh well.  Frankly, I think Kate would
find this all very funny.  I believe it would be obvious to her that not an
ounce of spite was intended, and she might even be flattered.  I've heard
way worse things said about her by people who MEANT them, and she's just
shrugged them off.  The difference between nasty lies and silly stories is
intent, and my intent was only to have a little sunny fun for a day or two.
I am sorry if anyone was upset.  Truly.

Violet
xoxox

P.S.  BTW, Vickie, all's swell.  You know what I mean. ;)

        +       "Jesus is coming... Look busy."         +