Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Alan Murphy et al.; etc.

From: nbuchwa1@ix.netcom.com (Norman Buchwald)
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 1996 09:24:39 GMT
Subject: Re: Alan Murphy et al.; etc.
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

IEDSRI@aol.com wrote:

>Ian Bairnson deserves a mention, too, as a Kate guitarist
>(virtually all the guitar parts on TKI and Lionheart)
>with a milder style but a wonderful melodic gift.
>It was a thrill to see his one-off guest appearance
>during the second '89 L.A. concert, when he contributed
>several devastating solos (the live "unplugged" dual-guitar
>re-working of "Warm and Soothing", with just Kate Bush
>and Bairnson together on 6- and 12-string, respectively,
>will not soon be forgotten).

>Violet reminisces:

> >  But I notice it didn't wear her out too much keep her
> > from having that torrid, less-than-discreet affair with
> > then-married Peter Gabriel during the three-month UK
> > leg of the tour!

>IED cannot dispute the account of Kate's deplorable pre-HoL
>days with Waits, but the above rumor remains entirely
>unsubstantiated.

You know, I think someone on one of their web pages should get these
reminisces down.  I've noticed that there's not much in the archives
of her touring in the 80s and 90s and it would be nice to get those
down as well as mentions of her best performances maybe on a future
Lovehounds shirt.

Speaking for myself, it was on the Whole Story tour I first got to see
her grace the stage right at the Hollywood Bowl.   Well, on that set
she was actually opening up for Peter Gabriel on his "So" tour and
their performance of "Another Day" was unmatchable to the version on
those boots out there.  It was at that concert that she sang "Rocket
Man" for the first time, but she performed it with the fairlight in
that one.  It was rather unique.

But I didn't notice anything beyond mutual affection when they did
their duets, though.  Kate's surprise performance of "Brazil" was
phenomenal and she and Peter Gabriel then did all their duets that
have never been allowed in the public.  And in one of the encores,
only the truest of fans saw they got a treat when she did a song
called "Scares Me Silly" with a guest guitar performance by Dave
Gilmour, himself.

But the biggest surprise (and I saved this for last) was when she did
her "Running Up That Hill" number running up the steps of the
Hollywood Bowl, itself.  How does she keep in shape?  And she sang
right in people's faces.  You could get the magic breath right from
her.  And after she came up to me face to face with her smile, and I
caught her breath, I knew "life is breathing."  I even hoped that she
even "passed the key" of her artistic power to my own writing.  (Of
course I hadn't purchased "The Dreaming" yet until shortly afterwords,
and she didn't perform "Houdini" which is too bad.  I heard on the
"Jig Of Life" tour that she had Del play Houdini and they even
performed some magic acts on stage right before getting into song.
But they didn't hit L.A. on that run for some odd reason).

I also heard rumours that Kate may make a surprise appearance on Tori
Amos's Dew Drop Inn tour.  Nothing's been substantiated.  But Tori's
supposed to give a surprise performance of "Them Heavy People" and
then Kate appears, along with Joni Mitchell and Robert Plant and Jimmy
Page will be playing music in the background.  Now that should be
something to see!  Of course I missed Kate's surprise performance at
Peter Gabriel's tour-- but I did hear of the Prince tour where she
actually got on stage and they did a much better version of "Why
Should I Love U" but I still don't think it's the best song.

Any other thoughts.  Oh yeah.  Madonna was rather rude sneering at
Kate at the Grammy's this year when Peter Gabriel won Best Long Form
Video.  I bet you Madonna never even saw "The Line, The Cross, and The
Curve."  And Alanis Morrissette wouldn't even speak to her.   Talk
about rude!  Kate said this may be the last time she ever attends an
awards ceremony.

So.  Is anybody getting this down?

The Storm

We all have a dream . . . maybe?

Well, just saying it can even make it happen!