Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

more reminiscences . . .

From: Charley.Darbo@harpercollins.com (Charley Darbo)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 13:59:14 -0500
Subject: more reminiscences . . .
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Quoting:

=Just thought I'd add that, during the Little Rock, Arkansas show, Kate
=performed a duet with Mary Steenburgen.  Kate modified "Watching You
=Without Me," and the ensuing number, "Watching Me With Me," was a
=veritable show-stopper.  Just thought I'd share.
=
=Keith

   I've heard about that concert (who hasn't?).  Does anybody have that
on tape?  I'd be willing to trade.  I have three different versions of
"Free Bird" from the "Storms Over America" tour.  And I also a very
poor-quality (third or fourth generation) video of that 400-lb.
dragqueen who did "Pounds of Love" and then died.
   I still think that was the best tour overall, except for the fact
that it happened right after her string of #1 hits and every radio
listener on the continent had tickets.  (I actually heard one mall rat
bragging that she'd been a fan "ever since 'Waking the Witch.'"  As if
it wasn't the biggest hit in the country at the time!)  I mean, it was
great that she was finally selling out the mega-amphitheatres, but it's
too bad that she'll never do the trustfall into the audience again,
after that incident in Pittsburgh with the Babooshka costume.  Does
anyone know what became of the fundraising efforts for that poor girl,
or if an organ-donor ever became available?  Or did Kate have to get her
that seeing-eye dog?.
   It makes me a little sad that we'll never be able to go back to the
days of the "Lipstick Smears" tour.  Remember her backup singers, the
Heartbrakers?  That was the first time most of us had ever even _heard_
of Tori Amos.   And it was so nice to see Kate in the medium-sized
venues that tour played, except, of course, in places like Texarkana and
Butte, where her fan base has always been so huge.
   And we few, we lucky few, who managed to see her on that first tour,
the "Berlin Bar" trek across the states, from boozy dive to punk bar to
honkytonk in that beatup VW minibus.   I still have Paddy's autograph on
a placemat from Verle's Happy Hideaway in  Lumberton, NC.  He drew a
speech balloon around it and made it look like it was coming out of the
drunk's mouth along with the bubbles.  But I lost the napkin signed by
the Bushbabies (I think I lost it; I might've used it).  And though I
got close, I never got Kate's autograph.  That's the year she was dating
one of the Ramones and he wouldn't let anyone near her.
   Ah, memories . . .

         --charleydarbo

{(><)}{(<>)}{(><)}{(<>)}{(><)}{(<>)}{(><)}{(<>)}{(><)}{(<>)}{(><)}{(<>)}
"Friends are great.
But for a truly exciting life,                         --Jo Carol Pierce
you must have strangers."
{(><)}{(<>)}{(><)}{(<>)}{(><)}{(<>)}{(><)}{(<>)}{(><)}{(<>)}{(><)}{(<>)}

   __      /
  / \\   //
    |}\__/{|
    \  ||  /\