Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate's Looks (again)

From: Anjali Ashby <rjashby@uniserve.com>
Date: 5 Mar 1996 02:05:58 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate's Looks (again)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
To: JForward@sitgbsd1.telecom.com.au
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

JForward@sitgbsd1.telecom.com.au ("Forward, Jonathan") wrote:

>>  Date: Monday, 4 March 1996 6:09AM
>
> barney wrote:
>
>>  Dear all,
>>
>>  There's been much talk recently in this newsgroup regarding who
>>  Kate resembles.  (I've added that she looks like Joan Collins.)
>>  But I really wonder, what if Kate was an ugly woman, would all of
>>  you still enjoy her music?
>
> Hmmmmm - I think this is where I came in. If Kate was ugly, she would
> have got NOwhere in the music business. There wouldn't be any music
> of hers available to enjoy. Why did the first promo poster of Kate
> display her breasts instead of just her face? Sex sells. Witness the
> witless wittering about Alanis' breasts on the rec.music.alternative.
> female group. If the single-minded boys in the industry occasionally
> promote a woman with talent, well that's just a bonus for those of us
> for whom talent is a rather more important quality than fine features
> or glandular grandeur.
>

> TSB

TSB I think you're way off base.  Kate's first promo may have been
successful becos of the breast poster but how do you explain the
last 6 CD'S????? Sex might have sold at first unfortunately that's
the way it is but Kate has proven time and again she's not a bimbo
who has to sell her looks to get people to listen to her music.
Alanis does not even compare she doesn't have the vocal range Kate
does (not really the looks either - that grunge look is pretty
unappealing).  But maybe some guys like that.  Boobs are not everything.
Kate has the "everything"

Anjali