Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Hammer Horror

From: "Forward, Jonathan" <JForward@sitgbsd1.telecom.com.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 96 08:55:00 EST
Subject: RE: Hammer Horror
To: "rec.music.gaffa" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Encoding: 37 TEXT
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Michael wrote:

>  I'm Michael and this is my first time writing, (This sounds like
>  the introductions at an AA meeting).

 You forgot "I am a Katefan.  I have been a Katefan for __ years."

>  I want the story on the song "Hammer Horror"

 In Kate's own words, taken from the Kate Bush Club Newsletter,
 issue 3, November 1979:

"    The song is not about, as many think, Hammer Horror films. It is
about an actor and his friend. His friend is playing the lead in a
production of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, a part he's been reading
all his life, waiting for the chance to play it. He's finally got the
big break he's always wanted, and he is the star. After many
rehearsals he dies accidentally, and the friend is asked to take the
role over, which, because his own career is at stake, he does. The
dead man comes back to haunt him because he doesn't want him to have
the part, believing he's taken away the only chance he ever wanted in
life. And the actor is saying, 'Leave me alone, because it wasn't my
fault--I have to take this part, but I'm wondering if it's the right
thing to do because the ghost is not going to leave me alone and is
really freaking me out. Every time I look round a corner he's there,
he never disappears.'

     The song was inspired by seeing James Cagney playing the part of
Lon Chaney playing the hunchback--he was an actor in an actor in an
actor, rather like Chinese boxes, and that's what I was trying to
create."

 TSB