Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate & demos

From: spike45@sos.sos.net (monroe/fisher)
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 11:17:15 -0800
Subject: Kate & demos
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Greetings love-hounds,

I'm new to love-hounds but have been a Kate fan since THE KICK INSIDE. I
remember LIONHEART & NEVER FOR EVER being released and having to find
European records because they were not released in the U.S. Can you imagine?

I've recently started listening to Kate again after laying off for a few
years. I played almost nothing but KT from HOL to TSW. Was eagerly awaiting
TRS and ended up being disappointed. Am I still here? There are some great
songs, but it remains my least favorite album. When HOL was released it was
my most played album for three years and still is my favorite album of all
times. Last night I was listening to TD and was amazed at hearing some
things I had never noticed before. I'm sure you all have noticed that about
Kate's music. So much there.

Now about the Demos.
Not long after THIS WOMAN'S WORK was released I found two vinyl EPs of KT's
early demos. I think there were three of them...I never found the third.
These EP's are now in storage in CA. and I thought I wouldn't be able to
hear them for some time, but I found a copy on a tape I made years ago. Some
of the titles are different so at first I thought you might be talking about
some other demos I had never heard of. Here are the titles that appear on
the EPs:

KASHKA FROM BAGDAD
CAMILA
OH TO BE IN LOVE
IN MY LOVER'S ROOM
SNOW BOWL
FERRY ME OVER
ON THE ROCK
VIOLIN
CRAFT OF LOVE
EDDIE
GARDEN BY THE WILLOW

A friend of mine had a CD of these demos but the quality was terrible. They
sounded as if they may have been recorded from the EPs. I hope to pick these
EPs up when in CA this year. If the quality is better than what is out there
now I will be glad to make copies for those interested. Of maybe what
everyone here is listening to is better...I guess there is no way of knowing
unless I listen to them. Well at least I've got them on tape for now. There
are some great songs here and if I remember right the sound quality of the
vinyl is not bad at all.

One more thing I hope can be answered by someone. Not long ago I read a
letter posted to ECTO stating that Kate didn't care for her early work. Has
anyone else heard this? If so, what is the source and which early works?

Bye for now.
Wayne