Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Red Shoes - movie

From: overdijk@noord.bart.nl
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 18:42:00 +0100
Subject: The Red Shoes - movie
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hello to all fellow Love-Hounds,

I was just browsing the new TV guide which has just arrived when I noticed
the BBC 2 programming for Saturday afternoon. Yes! The good old BBC is
showing the original movie `The Red Shoes' by Micheal Powell and Emeric
Pressburger! So, for all of you who are lucky enough to receive the Beeb,
it's on at Saturday 24th and it starts at 14.10 CET.

However, that's not all. The film preceding `The Red Shoes' is another film
by Powell and Pressburger and that one is called `Gone to Earth'! Well, is
it just me or are weird things happening at the BBC?

Let me explain. Over the years I've notices some strange similarities
between my two favorite artists: the aforementioned Goddess of Pop and David
Sylvian. For instance: they were both born in Kent in 1958 and they both
released their first albums in 1978 (for David: `Adolescent Sex' with his
band Japan). Kate worked with Mick Karn, who used to be Japan's fretless
bass-player, on `The Sensual World'. David married Ingrid Chavez, who used
to be working for/with His Royal Unpronouncebleness. Which brings us back to
`The Red Shoes' on which the Minneapolis Midget can be heard. In 1986 David
releases `Gone to Earth', his second solo album, which has a song with the
same title on it. In 1993, Kate releases `The Red Shoes' and a song with the
same title. Both of these album and song titles are from films by the
Archers (Powell & Pressburger) who are both from (get this!) 1948!

Anyway (had to share this), have fun with the movies.

Gone to Earth, BBC 2, Saturday 24th, 12.20 - 14.10 CET
The Red Shoes, BBC 2, Saturday 24th, 14.10 - 16.20 CET

Richard

(p.s. hi to Van! Sorry about the video-trouble)