Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Demo lyrics online

From: btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan Dongray)
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 03:56:36 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: Demo lyrics online
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Emmy May Lombaerts wrote:
>  Just a small note to let you guys know that an HTML-version of what we've
> made of the demo-lyrics so far, give or take a few errors, can now be found
> on : http://www.dma.be/p/bewoner/Krd/early_e.htm

I took a look, a download, then a word by word compare (using the
computer - of course), then lots of listening, replaying, listening,
changing my online lyrics, checking, and FINALLY with one last recompare
here's my thoughts...

Come Closer To Me Babe:
	please correct your title!

Dali:
	shouldn't it be "Senore Dali", he is a man?
	And 100% it is:
		Deeper here lies hidden
			       ^
	it IS plural.

Frightened Eyes:
	A matter of spelling, it's:
		Just traveling on a bus
	ie one 'l' in traveling (according to my dictionary). Then:
		In any English country garden.
		^^
	although, it could be "At", but it's a hard one, but "In" makes
	more sense, so my vote goes that way.
	You've typo'd a missing space:
		Vacancy shows on screen.
				^

It Hurts Me:
	Please correct your title (from "Waltz Growing Old").
	Another spelling check:
		I was firey but you put me out.
			 ^
	add the 'e', although my dictionary was vague about this. Next:
		If you laughed at me, I'd laugh too.
		Waltz, don't you know that I'd be really breaking in.
		L'amour--mon choux avec une etrangere.
	I'm 100% on the first two lines, thanks for the "in" at the end
	of line two, YES you're right. I also hear "une" rather than "un".
	BTW, I thought that line meant "Love - my choice with a stranger",
	but now I read it back, I've lost my memory about "choice".

Nevertheless, You'll Do:
	Title again!
	You've repeated the lines:
		I fill the room with people
		but still you sit empty,
		Stuck like putty.
	consectutively, where they don't do this. A correction for you?

On Fire Inside a Snowball:
	You need to add the "uh-huh" in:
		Giving me all the good lines,
		(Uh-huh)
		All the good lines,
	And in:
		A crystal layer of ice on our skin
				       ^^
	I cannot hear "burns" instead of "on" - sorry.
	You've also missed the all important "yeah" in:
		To kiss and hit. Is it you I'm feeling?
		Is it you I'm feeling?
		(Yeah?)
		Is it you I'm feeling?
	quite hidden without headphones.

Rare Flower:
	Title correction (again). Then:
		I'm not allowed to touch on lust.
					 ^^
	instead of "and". NOW Wieland has said:
		I've gotta get a hold of myself.
		I mustn't admit it.
			^^^^^^^^^^
	I really hear that, no more "doo-doo-doo-.." for me!
	Then later just before:
		Walking in a Paradise or Eden,
	you missed the "whoooo"?
	OK, now the fun line:
		It's calling me.
		With a menacing whisper,
		Magic opera charming me.
	is what I hear, seriously, the word "opera" became clear after a
	few listenings. Perhaps, it's the genuine pig of a CD I have.
	Not as good as I understand as other versions.
	Also the "whoooo" at the end too you missed!

Rinfy the Gypsy:
	we now know the spelling of "Rinfy", so can you correct it
	in your lyrics too, I also believe Gypsy is spelt not with
	an 'i' but a 'y' as the second letter, but perhaps that's
	because I come from England, but so does Kate.
	OK, in the line:
		Don't die, my funny little doll!
		I'm going away for a little while.
		Shouldn't be gone for very long."
		(Ooh, a very, long, long ...)
	I CANNOT hear the word "time" that everyone seems to be able to.
	Later, I'm certain it's:
		Don't cry, you weird little stranger.
	if I pause after weird, and then play it, I can hear the word
	"little" quite clearly.

Stranded at the Moonbase:
	Add the "the" in your title.
	Fix your typo to:
		Just a pinpoint in space,
	I can also hear the 'b's in the line:
		Spiritual boom-boom abyss.
	what it means, I've no idea!

Surrender into the Roses:
	Take out the extra "you" you have in:
		You needn't try, know the whole story.
	I cannot hear it (ie not before the word "know").

Something Like a Song:
	Sorry, you must have missed the discussion the line is:
		In my garden, wading through the pond.
		Rest and sing lover,
	although I hear "Rest and Sing loooo", just cannot hear the 'v'.

Scares Me Silly:
	Well, here goes...
	Near the start:
		How can this girl be me?
	Excellent, perfect, thanks, really thanks!
		"Well, little thing, are you looking lost?"
	What you have is really not right.
		The vertigo, the need to lose."
	just for context (note the minor change too).
	Then you forgot the "ooh-ooh" after that line, please add it.
	In the first pre-chorus, can you remove your "when"s from:
		They try to trip me up the tapes begin to spin
	as it sounds to me.
	But note the second line around, it is:
		They try to trip me up the tape begin to spin,
	could just be loss of the 's' due to quality!
	Second verse:
		Singing amid the cans
	or is it "Swinging", that's a toughy. I think "Singing" makes
	more logical sense, but poeticly it could be swinging, but in
	the UK that refers to spouse swapping, etc, I don't think Kate
	would have said that! Later, I hear:
		It's like a film - such balance.
		I close my eyes to the cello solo,
		And ache the music.
		Will never let me blow away.
	thanks for the clues, I sort of hear "ache" with an "m", but not
	really, ie "make the music". it IS "will never", not "won't ever"
	as I had before. I also hear the 'b' in "blow" clearly.
	You missed the second pre-chorus lines, it should be:
		You know the feeling when you're on the right track.
		You fall in love and you're never gonna turn it back.
		It's recording you, they're so sensitive,
		Oozing without me, filling over with secrets.
	repeated.

The Craft of Love:
	In the lines:
		A big round bubble of sensuality,
		Dared to be burst,
		But worried about getting hurt.
	THANKS for the word "round" - yes, and "dared" too.
	Remember to skip the "I'm" you put before "worried".
	I have a revelation, the line:
		Soul burns, and I don't care.
	I discovered it sounds like:
		Say a words in our dark hair.
		  ^^^^^^^^	^^^^^^^^^^
		  not sure	DEFINITELY
	The 'ar' of 'dark' is NOT "don't", the accent would be
	all wrong for Kate, if anything she'd say "don't" more
	like "dough-n't" (ie dough as in uncooked bread).
	Later:
		Jittering strangers with smutting hands,
	although "smutty" would seem more reasonable, but it just
	doesn't sound like it! And:
		We're familiar with what to do.
	is what I hear (not "unfamiliar").

The Gay Farewell:
	Can you change "and" to "but" in:
		But on Saturday evening,
	both times.
	You have interesting thoughts on:
		'Cause what can I do
		But listen to you tell your story?
	as:
		'Cause what more can I do
		But listen to the tired old story story?
	Firstly, loose the "more", but on the second line I actually hear:
		But listen to the tired your story?
	once it was described this way, but I can hear the word "tired".
	Votes? I vote "But listen to the tired old story".
	The last line:
		Queeny, come home soon!
	with "out" instead of "home", I see what you're saying here,
	but firstly I hear "home", and I assume he's "out" already.

Where Are the Lionhearts:
	Fix your title (I think).
	Again, I hear:
		Climbing up the adders
		To slide down the adders
	but it would make more sense to have:
		Climbing up the ladders
		To slide down the adders
	as in snakes and ladders (an adder being a UK snake).
	My hypothosis is that it was a "singo" - as in typo.
	Another revelation (well not really), how about:
		I see she's seen the long days and knights.
	as in "knights of the round table". It makes a good
	play on words, something Kate would do, I'm sure.

While Davy Dozed:
	That problem line to me sounds like:
		Your face seemed radiant,
		The walls to steam
		With the crack in a moment
		As I held you.
	which possibly makes sense (sort of), using the echo/reverb
	you can easily make out the 't' in moment, but if "steam"
	was "steep" as suggested, it would have come out heavily due
	to the heavy echo that's there, I think?
	Later change your "realised" to "realise", and check the typo
	on the word "go". I also agree with Wieland about:
		While na-na na-na na-na-na Davy dozed.
	count the 'na's, and second time it's:
		Oh while na-na ne-na na-na-na Davy dozed.
	note the "Oh" too, it's very short, but there.

I notice you don't include the demo versions of any later recorded
songs, some of the lyrics are different in most of the songs. ie:
	Babooshka (piano only)
	Babooshka (beat box)
	Don't Push Your Foot on the Heartbrake
	Hammer Horror
	Kite
	Kashka from Baghdad
	L'Amour Looks Something Like You
	Moving
	Oh To Be in Love
	Strange Phenomena
	The Kick Inside
	Violin
Emmy, I could send you my version of the demo lyrics to use, including
those just above. I'm sorry if I have only listed differences, and not
shown where I corrected my stuff from your clues to us all, my final
comparison lost any hint to you improving me, but you definitely did,
feel proud.

I've discovered I don't have "Organic Acid" - Argh!

			Bryan Dongray