Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Unconstitutional

From: kln@a.crl.com
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 16:36:36 -0800
Subject: Unconstitutional
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Okay, I have to put my two cents in.

The telecom bill is clearly unconstitutional, and it will just be a matter of a
lawsuit or two to get this cleared up, and we will be back to the drawing board.

Those-Who-Want-Control are in the same sort of tizzy that they were way back
when (gasp!) printing and books became widely available.  Oh my god, people are
going to get ideas!  They're going to share them!  Women are going to learn to
read!  Worse, <commoners> are going to learn to read! It is the end of the
world.

But, as we've learned the past couple of hundred years, the printed word is
largely ungovernable and uncensorable.  The electronic word is ten times more
ungovernable and uncensorable: it spreads faster, goes worldwide instantly, is
copied instantly and in private, it is a little harder to pile up in a heap and
burn.  It is already so far beyond their control they can <never> catch up short
of turning off all the electricity around the world.

All the noise being generated about this provides alarming distractions for the
simple minded -- keeps them from thinking about the real issues -- which is the
idea: How can we deal with the poor when there's all this pornography to worry
about?  How can we help the mentally ill to live with dignity when nasty child
molesters are climbing into our houses through our computers?

It's all an emotionally charged smoke screen distracting people from the
problems we should really work on.

Karen  kln@a.crl.com