Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Ethics Regarding Demos

From: engjs@cc.newcastle.edu.au (James Smith)
Date: 15 Feb 96 10:13:47 +1100
Subject: Re: Ethics Regarding Demos
To: rec-music-gaffa@munnari.oz.au
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Emmy May Lombaerts writes:

> engjs@cc.newcastle.edu.au (James Smith) got on his soapbox and said:

I think I'd be really lost without my soapbox. :-)

>>Is it morally wrong to copy the demos?

>      To copy or not to copy.. IMHO these early recordings are just too
> tempting for most fans to resist, and if they're going to track down the
> demos anyway, isn't it better that they get them copied on a tape from a
> fellow-fan, rather than paying hard cash to the bootleggers whose only
> intent it is to make money from Kate?

It's no more morally wrong to buy from a bootlegger than it is to get a
copy from a friend. In both cases you are obtaining Kate's work without
paying for it, although as she has not chosen to make it available for
you to buy that's a moot point. The moral position of the friend who
copies the tape for you or the bootlegger who sells you the tape have no
bearing on your own moral position. 'Given' is not somehow more moral
than 'sold.'

As for whether it is more moral to give Kate's work away or to sell it,
I could offer arguments for the former, but then I've never been inclined
to judge the morals of other people. :-) I wouldn't sell Kate's work
to other people, but then that's me.

Jim
--
James J Smith             | One of the biggest obstacles to the future
Faculty of Engineering    | of computing is C. C is the last attempt