Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

freedom of lyrics

From: btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan Dongray)
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 08:56:03 -0600 (CST)
Subject: freedom of lyrics
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

I am making no opinion here, but I do have an observation...

I've not actually seen the new law, but I understand it is against
showing what used to be legal, ie people being "nice" to each other,
or just in a natural state? I find it odd that US TV (and I guess
the internet) it is still "happy" to show people not being nice to
each other (ie extreme violence and death) or people not in a natural
state (blown up, shot, hurt, etc). Is this what is referred to as
confusing to children? ie being nice is not allowed, be violent, look
that's ok.

If I understand it, the bible is illegal on the net now?
Consider Isaiah 36v12, there are plenty other examples, if your
translation is not as "obscene" as my copy.

My opinions on it are immaterial, so I will not voice them, the US is
a country and make their own laws, I'm just visiting and will obey the
laws, just as I would obey the laws of Saudi Arabia if I went there.
It is up to those of you (who have a say) to correct if you see any
law as incorrect, but do this through appropriate channels, eg visit
or write to your congressman, whoever or whatever you think right.

Please can we move this discussion off gaffa, unless it relates to
Kate, or other artists, I'd prefer positive statements, we all can
complain about this or that, but only those who can do better should
really have this attitude.

			Bryan Dongray

PS I retract (again) my Tori BfP analysis, I was unfair, I was tainted
by my mood, and by some of the interspersed tracks not to my taste.