Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

i don't know if it's been signed yet but pass this on

From: Laurie Ratcliff <lratclif@astro.ocis.temple.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 15:49:41 -0500 (EST)
Subject: i don't know if it's been signed yet but pass this on
To: rose <diYanni@max.muhlberg.edu>, Alanna Price <arp4991@is2.nyu.edu>, Gillian Neff <gneff@astro.ocis.temple.edu>, Leonine <lgreen@astro.ocis.temple.edu>, old-ways@flux.mindspring.com, stuart goldman <felix@atc.ameritel.net>, jon harvey <jph@sas.upenn.edu>, liz harvey <emharvey@mhc.mtholyoke.edu>, kafka <molt@tiger.hsc.edu>, brie neff <bneff@vm.temple.edu>, Robb <rspier@astro.ocis.temple.edu>, Scbdmoore@aol.com, BrnEyeGal9@aol.com, love-hounds@gryphon.com, rohn@architech.com, robstuff@mail.utexas.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

From: 9002npyri@umbsky.cc.umb.edu
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 1996 22:04:41 EST
Subject: first amendment rights (PLEASE READ-RELEVANT TO ANY AMERICAN CITIZEN)

From:	MX%"emccord@arctos.bowdoin.edu"  7-FEB-1996 19:22:00.60
To:	MX%"9002npyri@umbsky.cc.umb.edu"

Subject: first amendment rights
To: 9002npyri@umbsky.cc.umb.edu
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 19:24:16 -0500 (EST)
From: "Emily Irene McCord" <emccord@arctos.bowdoin.edu>

>From jparrin@juliet.ucs.indiana.edu Tue Feb  6 23:09:14 1996
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 23:07:01 -0500 (EST)
From: hungrylittlecaterpillar <jparrin@indiana.edu>
To: junebug <jmacbain@hamlet.ucs.indiana.edu>,

Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 18:54:56 -0800 (PST)
From: allison twist <atwist@leland.Stanford.EDU>
To: Marni Leff <marnil@cardinal1.Stanford.EDU>,
    Christina Blecksmith <duckey@cardinal1.Stanford.EDU>,
    jparrin@indiana.edu
Subject: just trying to fill up your mailboxes (fwd)

Subj:   The Ban On Abortion On the NET

Feb. 1, 1996, Both houses of our congress passed a telecommunications
bill which had a provision in it making it illegal to
Discuss ABORTION of all things on the Internet.  That means that no web
sites, FTP sites, Gopher sites, OR E-MAIL MESSAGES (!!!) can contain any
reference to abortion.  Not even in a clinical manner.  A doctor is not
allowed to e-mail a patient with a recommendation on whether or not to  have an
abortion.  Whether or not you are for or against abortion does not matter;
abortion in itself is not the issue.  The issue is the curtailing of EVERY
AMERICAN'S FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS.  Clinton has said that he will sign this
bill into law, possibly even today.  The bill calls for jail time and heavy
fines of ANYONE caught discussing abortion in any way on the net, even in the
international news groups.

This is a horrible abuse of legislative power against the American people,
and we can do something about it.  Please, write the president at
President@whitehouse.gov and let him know that you are outraged about this
bill passing (if indeed you are outraged, which I sincerly hope you are.)
Also, mass forward this message to as many people as possible, anyone you
know who uses the net.  With this bill, and the development of the Compuserve
Newsgroup blackout, our freedom on the net is being seriously curtailed.
Please help, and spread this message.  Thank you.