Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Ethics Regarding "Demos"

From: "Forward, Jonathan" <JForward@sitgbsd1.telecom.com.au>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 96 13:50:00 EST
Subject: RE: Ethics Regarding "Demos"
To: "rec.music.gaffa" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Encoding: 25 TEXT
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Emmy wrote:

  >         As far as I know, she wasn't very pleased with the demos
  >  appearing.. As we all know Kate is a perfectionist when it comes
  >  to her work, so I'm sure it couldn't have been very pleasant for
  >  her to have songs of hers released that weren't quite finished
  >  and not (yet?) meant for the public..

 This is Kate's biggest failing for me - not recognising her great
 works as great. It would be fine if she had destroyed all those
 early works and gone on to re-create them in an altogether more
 sublime form (if possible), as when Michaelangelo obliterated his
 (and his assistants') first enormous effort on the ceiling of the
 Sistine Chapel to allow something more glorious to take its place,
 but... taking "Oh To Be In Love" and "Wuthering Heights" as two
 signal examples, Kate has the ability to take masterpieces and
 render them somewhat threadbare. Eric Clapton sounds great with
 just an acoustic guitar; Larry Adler sounds great with just his
 harp; Kate sounds great with just a piano. I think sometimes even
 Beethoven wasn't as deaf to his own talent as Kate is to hers.

 TSB