Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Gilmour interview from CHEZ FM 106 radio 1983

From: Wieland Willker <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 1996 12:05:36 -0100
Subject: Gilmour interview from CHEZ FM 106 radio 1983
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

repost from the archive:

Gilmour interview by Greg Torrington from CHEZ FM 106 radio 1983

FROM A REPRINT IN BREAKTHROUGH FIVE

[Transcribed by Ron Hill.]

CHEZ: I'd like to ask you about Kate Bush. She is popular in very small
pockets of
North America - this being one of them. I know that you had a lot
involvement in
starting her career off. I would like to talk to you about the beginning of
Kate
Bush's career in regards to you. How did you first meet her?

DAVE: A friend of mine has a friend who told my friend that his sister was very
talented. This friend of mine came to me and said, "My friend has a very
talented
sister" and would I listen to her. And I said "sure", so I listened to her.
I thought
she was very good.

	I did some recording at her house, her parent's house, and then I had her
up to
my studio and recorded some things. I decided that the way she sang and played
the piano, just on its own, was not going to be very effective for
convincing A&R
men at record companies of her value. So, I decided to pick some songs out
of all
the songs that she had and go in and record them properly in a recording studio
with an engineer, a producer, an arranger and an orchestra. I organized all
that,
chose some songs and recorded three tracks which I then played to the EMI
people over here and they made a deal with her and signed her up. It's quite
simple. The three tracks that I had recorded, I sold them to EMI as well,
and two
of them were on her first album. One was "The Man With the Child in His Eyes"
and one was called "The Saxophone Song".

 CHEZ: You are credited as the executive producer on these tracks. [Dave
indicates
affirmative]. What was the song that she played when you first heard her, when
you first went to her house?

DAVE: I can't remember. I know that one of the first songs that I noted was
"The
Man With the Child in His Eyes", our of many songs that she had written. She
was only 14, I think, when I met her, maybe just about 15.

CHEZ: Did you see that there was potential, commercial talent, or just artistic
potential?

DAVE: I didn't realize how commercially successful she might be. I thought
of her
more really, I suppose, in the terms of someone like Joni Mitchell; the
level of a
lady who's very talented, but would appeal to a more esoteric audience. But she
had different ideas.

CHEZ: Well, this certainly came out in later years. Are you still in touch
with her or
is it pretty much a fair accompli?

DAVE: Well, my involvement with her career specifically stopped at the
moment that
I sold her on. I retained a small financial percentage on the tracks that I
did that
were on the first album, and I got my expenses back out of EMI when I sold her
on. I sold the tapes to them for what it cost to put them together. I
haven't had
any financial interest in her career.

CHEZ: Are you still friends?

DAVE: Yes, I see her quite often. I actually sang some backing vocals on her
last
album on a track called "Pull Out the Pin."