Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KaTe and Gershwin - I'm in love again...

From: barnster <haha@ix.hell.com>
Date: 2 Feb 1996 21:58:09 GMT
Subject: Re: KaTe and Gershwin - I'm in love again...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

pmramey@ix.netcom.com (Paul M. Ramey) writes:
> In <4eod26$5hp@ixnews3.ix.netcom.com> haha@ix.hell.com (barnster)
> writes:
> >

> Kate's singing on this track sorta reminds me of Verve era Billie
> Holiday...especially with the vibrato on the end of the phrases. I
> really like this track...maybe she'll do some more stuff like this as
> B-sides in the future (ala her flirtation with folk ballads on "My
> Lagan Love" and "The Handsome Cabin Boy").
>
> Paul (PMRamey@ix.netcom.com)

Well Paul,

If you think that Kate's "The Man I Love" is so great and reminds
you of Billie Holiday, why would you want "more stuff like this
as B-sides in the future?"  Why not an A-side?

As much as I enjoy the song, I don't think this genre is something
that Kate excels in.  And especially in this genre, Billie Holiday
is far superior to Kate.  No doubt about it!!!

Just being objective,

barney