Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KaTe and Gershwin - I'm in love again...

From: pmramey@ix.netcom.com (Paul M. Ramey )
Date: 1 Feb 1996 00:26:55 GMT
Subject: Re: KaTe and Gershwin - I'm in love again...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

In <4eod26$5hp@ixnews3.ix.netcom.com> haha@ix.hell.com (barnster)
writes:

>Personally, I don't think "The Man I Love" was well sung.  Her voice
>has changed throughout the years.  For a torch song like this, I'd
much
>prefer Ella Fitzgerald, or even Dorothy L'amour for god's sake!
Kate's
>voice just couldn't sing in that style effectively.  The instruments
>outdoes her this time.

Kate's singing on this track sorta reminds me of Verve era Billie
Holiday...especially with the vibrato on the end of the phrases. I
really like this track...maybe she'll do some more stuff like this as
B-sides in the future (ala her flirtation with folk ballads on "My
Lagan Love" and "The Handsome Cabin Boy").

Paul (PMRamey@ix.netcom.com)