Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Prince's Trust incident

From: Rolf.Peukert@Theoinf.TU-Ilmenau.DE (Rolf Peukert)
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 96 08:29:19 +0100
Subject: The Prince's Trust incident
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hi Love-Hounds,

has anybody in the european area watched VIVA II (the german VH-1 wannabe)
recently ? They have a show called "Geschmackssache" (A Matter Of Taste),
their artist-plays-his/her-favourite-videos thing.
Last weekend (i watched a repeat last night) they had Jethro Tull's
Ian Anderson, who presented an one hour video programme with clips from
artists he liked or actually met during his career (in chronological order).
When he came to talk about someone he met at the Prince's Trust rock
concert in 1982, i realised a bit too late whom he was referring to.

Maybe somebody else already transcribed this, but i'll try to write down
what i taped.
(Before this he told that Jethro Tull was invited only because David
Bowie couldn't be there.)
Forgive me that i didn't get all the words right:

"... and somebody introduced me to this cheerful, quite small, friendly,
funny little girl with a funny [tries Kate impersonation:] <squeaky
little voice>, and it was Kate Bush. And she was _really_ nice. And she's
such a good singer. And she had such a terrible time at this particular
concert, because we all had to meet the Prince of Wales, and when you get
introduced to your future king, you get nervous and your hands get sweaty
and ...ssss... all that shaking hands stuff... [<- i didn't get that all]
You know that he doesn't know who you are, he knows nothing about pop music.

We were all standing in a line up, I was next to four black guys, the name
of which I don't remember, from some black soul group, and on the other
side was Kate Bush.
And he came and spoke to the black guys, he thought I was in the same
band with them, and ...[here Mr. Anderson is talking too fast for me]...
that just shows how little he knows about music.
Then he moved on to me, and I said a few words, and then it was Kate Bush.
And she went to pieces, she cracked up, she just couldn't...
[guesturing] she was blblblblblbl... couldn't speak to him, completely
downtied [??], and was so embarrased by him, she made a fool of herself,
she thought. She was just nervous.
And he smiled at her and thought she was quite funny. And afterwards
she was so embarrassed, she had _embarrassed_ herself in front of her
future king.

Now it got worse, it got much worse, cause when poor Kate had to do her song
in front of her future king, she went out on stage to begin singing, and the
top of her dress split open and came on down. And she had to run off stage
into the wings [??], with her dress falling down, which is kind of
embarrassing for a girl - [funny voice:] even more embarrassing for a boy.

So I happened to be standing there, ready for anything, and I saved Kate,
because I had a piece of a tape that we always use for fixing anything on
stage in music business, and I managed to fix her dress with a piece of
black sticky tape, and sent her back on stage to finish the song.
She was really embarrassed, and I felt so sorry for her.
And I was so pleased, when later on Kate Bush made a great comeback
with a really good song. I seem to remember it has some famous American
actor in it, whose name escapes me at the moment.
Let's watch it and see if we can remember the name of the famous
american actor who appears in the video with Kate Bush in
'Running Up That Hill' [hits hand against head:] what was his name ..."

[Running Up That Hill (dance video) is played]

"Well, embarrassment's all around:
First of all: he wasn't American, he was Canadian, it was Donald
Sutherland, and he wasn't even in that video, it was in Cloudbusting
that he was in.
[hits hand against forehead] Uh, shows you how silly you can be
when you're on television, doesn't it."

I don't know if he meant this all serious, can anybody confirm this ?

Off topic: Ian Anderson has quit smoking, but he had an ashray there
to smell on :-)

The people at Viva II seem to have only two Kate Bush videos:
Wuthering Heights (Rockflix) and Running Up That Hill. They have Don't
Give Up (hug version) too. But they rarely play one of these.
At least not when I'm watching.

Sorry if I brought up something that's embarrassing for Kate and that
you probably all know already, but ...

I think I know now what 'Suspended In Gaffa' _really_ is about...  ;-)

bye,

Rolf

--
"That was the most embarrassing moment in my entire life"
Carolyne Mas in a concert in Kaiserslautern 1992 about the concert in 1991,