Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Ne T'Enfuis Pas

From: Wieland Willker <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 16:14:18 -0100
Subject: Ne T'Enfuis Pas
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hello friends,
llovich@aol.com (Llovich) wrote:

>>In French, "Bon Dieu" is used by children when they talk about God, but
>>adults rarely use this expression.
>
>But wait, I thought it was, "Si les grands yeux de MON dieu"
>Can some check Kate's transcrption in the archives?
>"Just saying it can even make it happen ...
>    All I have to do is say it for you."
>- -- "Cloudbusting," K. Bush

Yes, please, Kate: Say it for mmeeeee!
It's difficult to decide between "mon" and "bon", but IMHO she sings "bon".
Listen carefully again!

I hope, Patrick DESCOURTIS will forgive me this quote from his private mail
to me, because I think it's of general interest:

>    I'm french and disagree with bruno's opinion...
>    In FRENCH, "Bon Dieu" is not just used by children, but
>    by all people who believe *really* in GOD and especially by all
>    old people.

To inject some facts into the discussion, here's Kate in her own words:

"I've always loved the idea of singing in a
 foreign language, and I thought this b-side [TGAT] would be a perfect excuse
 for doing so.
	Really the only language I know enough of to be able to work
 creatively with is French, so I thought of all the odd words I know,
 and tried to piece a story together.  It's surprising how inspiring it
 can be to work from a slightly different tangent.
	The tune came straight away, and I filled in all the lines that I
 had no proper words for with pseudo-French sounds.  Luckily Patrick,
 who worked on _Lionheart_ with us in Superbear [STUDIOS, IN FRANCE] was
 staying with Paddy to work on some tracks, so, between him and a friend
 Vivienne, we worked out the complete lyrics, and "Ne T'Enfuis Pas"
 was put to tape."   (1983, KBC 13)

Now, what IS the story?
Best wishes
Wieland