Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Organic Acid, and yes, it's here again.. That Tori/Kate Debate.. .

From: Emmy May Lombaerts <lombaeg@donald.interpac.be>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 21:23:17 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Organic Acid, and yes, it's here again.. That Tori/Kate Debate.. .
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hiya everyone,

nbuchwa1@ix.netcom.com (Norman Buchwald) wrote:

>    I just heard the "Organic Acid" demo for the first time (Thank you
>VERY much, Emmy!) and I was wondering if anybody has transcribed the
>lyrics yet?  Especially, Paddy's very unusual poetry.  What a strange,
>disturbing, scary, startling song.

      I'd love to see the lyrics too.. From what I understand, the song
describes the love-affair between a boy and a girl, and the way it abruptly
ends when they both die in a car crash. The rather explicit description of
the crash, the bizarre choice of words, and the combinsation of John's
spoken poetry and Kate's sweet but sad voice, makes the song almost
Lynchesque. It's definitely startling and scary. Although I like it, and
it's an unpolished diamond just like the other demos, I find it too
disturbing and unsettling to listen to a lot.

Then patrickb@usa1.com (pkb) shouted into the void:

> MIKE-GET OUT OF HERE.
> To actually even infer that Tori Amos even approaches Kate Bush in any
>way only demonstrates the limits of your Musical Taste. Tori Amos copped
>her sound from early KB records and wouldn't even own up to it. She is a
>poser and a wannabe. And yes, she does "seem to have a sense of
>working",alright, but it's P.R. work

     I think the last person we could accuse of overdoing the PR-bit has to
be Tori. And although her work may be slightly reminiscent of Kate, that
doesn't mean she's a copycat. Personally, I think Tori does an excellent job
of just being herself.

                     Emmy.

Emmy May Lombaerts
lombaeg@mail.interpac.be
http://www.ping.be/~ping2242/emmy.html

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
'This is not a conclusion, not a revolution, just a little confusion'
                   Tori Amos
o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o