Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate vs. Tori Debate

From: braitman@sirius.com (Stephen M. H. Braitman)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 12:25:07 -0800
Subject: Kate vs. Tori Debate
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

"Mike" prefers Tori Amos because of her presumed work ethic.  "Patrick"
simply says Mike has no taste. Although I do think Kate Bush is the
superior artist, I too think that she does one or two things that are a
detriment to her career.

One, she may spend much too much time on recording individual songs and
albums, going over material, sound, instruments, so much that she loses
perspective on them.  I doubt if she has much critical feedback from
anybody, and she probably rules the recording studio.  The results have
often been disappointing, after such a long wait, to hear material which
often seems to be re-treads of older themes and musical explorations.
Let's face it, Kate Bush does not ALWAYS move forward artistically (last
two albums being cases in point).  I, for one, wouldn't mind her being
challenged to write and record a song very quickly, down and dirty, to
shake up her artistic process.

Two, she is from a privileged, upper class family and has lived in
comfortable circumstances all her life.  I am not saying she can't be a
great artist because of this, but I think that a comfortable lifestyle
often works against giving an artist the edge necessary to rise above
circumstances (whatever those may be) to achieve good works.  Has she been
lazy?  Has she taken too many vacations?  Has she simply lived her live
away from music for awhile?  These questions can't be answered
definitively, but there's no reason to assume that Kate Bush lives with her
music (and music production) 24 hours a day.  And, I'm suggesting, because
of her economic/lifestyle/class situation, she has more options than just
working...at her art, or anything else.

So, perhaps Tori Amos is hungrier, leaner, more productive, because she
wants more...out of life, out of music, out of art, who can say.  And no
record company is going to let an opportunity go by to capitalize on a
musician's desire to create and produce product.

Faith Lee