Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Wait for Kate

From: Alan Stonebridge <Alan.Stonebridge@durham.ac.uk>
Date: 30 Jan 1996 17:26:25 GMT
Subject: Re: Wait for Kate
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

If you want some 'evidence' that Kate was an influence on Tori, look at
the cover for "Little Earthquakes" and then the US version of "The Kick
Inside" (which is on the back cover of the "Visual Documentary" book).
Surely the fact that Tori uses the wooden box theme on the cover and in
the "Silent All These Years" video shows that there is some influence, at
least from Kate's early stuff.

Also, just to annoy some die-hard Tori fans, "Boys for Pele" is far too
crowded with songs. I think that's Tori's flaw - she releases too many
songs. If BfP had only 10 or 11 songs on it, it would be a much stronger
album, but it's too much to listen to in one go. Don't get me wrong, I
like Tori a lot, but I think "Little Earthquakes" and "Under the Pink"
work much better because they contain far less in actual numbers of
songs. It's not that they are written any better than BfP.

Alan Stonebridge