Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

English Grammar (Re: French Grammar)

From: "Mark A. Semich" <mas@world.std.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan MVMI-A.D. 10:26:28 -0400
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 96 10:26:27 -0500
Subject: English Grammar (Re: French Grammar)
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Llovich writes:

>brian_jones@ajc.com
>Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 16:51:59 -0400
>>There was a time when every english-speaking person loved his language.
>>Now, every english-speaking person loves their language.
>
>Uh, actually... it's supposed to be, "Every english-speaking person loves
>HER OR HIS language."

Sorry for the non-KaTe KonTent :-)

Actually, singular, indeterminate "they" usage dates back to at least
the 14th century and was very widely used.  The "rule" about "they" being
singular is an artificial construct from early self-appointed
grammarians.  For more info, checkout:

http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~churchh/austheir.html

There are many rules that we have been taught about the English language
that contradict the actual structure and usage of the language.  These
rules were invented by people who were attempting to understand and
define English as it was spoken.  Unfortunately, these were the same
sorts of people who reasoned that the sun revolved around the earth.
Most of these rules were invented by members of the upper-class,
(sometimes kings themselves :-) ) who also had a vested interest in
re-defining the language and creating class barriers.  Although we are no
longer taught that the Earth is the center of the universe, we are still
taught slanted grammar rules.  Most of these "rules" have done a very
good job at creating a source of friction and have probably hindered
English from further evolution.  The "singular they" rule is merely one
of many.

(Follow-up to alt.english.usage.flame :-) )

ObKaTe: I couldn't have made a worst move.