Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: KYRIACOS TSIELEPIS <tsiekn@essex.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 14:56:20 GMT
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hello there fellow Lovehounds,

I'd like to get people's views on the foollwing statement by Kate Bush in an interview last year
on Radio 1.
I'm sure most of you have heard the interview or know its contents. I'm sorry if this has been
discussed before but I haven't really been paying much attention to the mailing list this past
year due to other preoccupations. Anyway here's the excerpt from the interview:

Interviewer: Is it (your work doesn't seem to be dated) because your work is slightly alternative,
if you could use that phrase...different from the norm....Is that why perhaps that it doesn't date?

Kate: Are you saying that I'm a weirdo or something? (jokingly) (Then Kate goes on to explain

Kate's next reply is 'I don't know about to be different but to certainly  try and do my best, and I
think if generally there are a lot of areas that people have already explored, there's a natural
tendency for you to want to look in areas that aren't quite so covered, do you know, I think that's
a natural thing to want to do'

The above (and another interview excerpt which I remember reading on rec-music-gaffa
around the time TRS came out where Kate felt embarrassed of her early work, even 'The
Dreaming') makes me wonder if Kate Bush, now in her thirties, wants to discard her image of
being 'alternative, different, strange, unconventional'?
This frightens me as it these 'deliriously bizarre but at the same time extremely evocative'
songs which attracted me to her music in the first place.

Any ideas or comments?

Kerry