Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

(diffs) FAQ: rec.music.gaffa - Love-Hounds - Kate Bush

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@zoodle.robin.de>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 96 01:31:22 +0100
Subject: (diffs) FAQ: rec.music.gaffa - Love-Hounds - Kate Bush
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Archive-name: music/kate-bush-faq-diffs
Last-modified: 1996/01/25
Version: 1.4.a minus 1.3.v

This is a human understandable 'diff' from previous month's FAQ to this
month's FAQ.

If you are on the mailing list (love-hounds) instead of rec.music.gaffa this
is all you will get without further action.  The full version is posted to
rec.music.gaffa only.  You can get a full copy of the FAQ by requesting it from
me (uli@zoodle.robin.de).  If you subscribe to the list (done by sending
email to love-hounds-request@uunet.uu.net) Bill Wisner will also provide you
with the full FAQ.  If you can't receive more than 64KB in one piece I can
split the FAQ for you.

All paragraphs which have been changed/added/deleted are listed here,
additional comments in []s.  Cosmetical changes aren't listed.

Hey! It's on time! Wow! Incredible!

;-)

I even managed to go through a pile of partially quite old printouts of
older love-hounds postings which I printed to include them in the FAQ
but which I so far never found the time to really include them. The
same is valid for the discography (still under construction, currently
slowly (only The Kick Inside, Lionheart and one promo album done) moving
to HTML) as well, so maybe there's even a chance that the discography
will be ready soon. Anyone has a digital photo camera? (to save the
painful process of scanning the pictures of cover pictures, labels etc.
manually - currently what I'm working on looks like a text only web
page. Nevertheless it'll be more than 1 Megabyte alltogether when it's
done ;-).)

At first a general thing about the mailing list and newsgroup addresses:

The official email addresses have changed from ...@uunet.uu.net to
...@gryphon.com.  The parts in front of the @ have not changed.
Since all the uunet.uu.net addresses still work (they're forwarded),
you don't really *have* to change your mind right now. It's like the
old eddie.mit.edu addresses which somehow still do work. Since there
are a lot of references to uunet.uu.net mail addresses in the text
I haven't listed all the changes here separately, instead this paragraph
is here.

Bye,

Uli

-------------------8<-------------------
2.1. Who is Happy Rhodes?

        CD's (prices in US currency)
        Title                   Order #         Price

        The Keep                AGCD0031        13.99

[The order number was still missing in the last FAQ]

4.4. Basic Discography/Videography

     Kate appeared in a few films' soundtracks, which are listed here:
     [...]
     Not mentioned are films where a Kate track just runs accidentally long
     after its regular release (e.g. some of MTV's "The Real World" series,
     the "Miami Vice" episode featuring Hello Earth, or Martha Coolidge's film
     "Angie" featuring Rubberband Girl).

[They aren't listed, nevertheless I added the film "Angie" here]

4.5. Other Artists using Kate's Work

     Artists who used samples from Kate's songs:
     Jig of Life
        ADSR - Momentum
            (album 'Accelerated Emotions') [DC2]

[new entry]

4.11.What about the inscriptions on the vinyl discs?

     On a lot of English first pressings of vinyl records you can find an
     inscription in the runout area of the disc.  Sometimes these can still
     be found on later pressings, sometimes not.  Except for the messages on
     the 'Breathing' and 'There Goes A Tenner' discs these messages do not
     appear on the singles from the 'The Single File' boxed set. Kate does not
     only know about the inscriptions, she even writes them, so most of them
     are of some significance (comments in []s).  Most vinyl records do have
     some numbers and/or the name of the mastering facility/person scratched
     in the runout area (e.g. Townhouse, Orlake).  These normally appear on
     more than one record and are not written by Kate.

     Here's a list of the inscriptions on the first releases of the vinyl
     editions:

     Wuthering Heights / Kite:
        Side A: Remember the whales
                [Moving intro sound]
     The Man With The Child In His Eyes / Moving:
        Side A: The child hides in the light
     Hammer Horror / Coffee Homeground
        Side A: Were all playing a hunch
     Wow / Fullhouse:
        Side A: Thank You Emily
                [Emily Bronte, author of the novel Wuthering Heights]
     Breathing / The Empty Bullring:
        Side A: We all share the same air
                [TSF: yes]
        Side B: Happy anniversary to the p's
                [TSF: no]
     Army Dreamers / Delius / Passing Through Air:
        Side A: Life is to love
     December Will Be Magic Again / Warm And Soothing:
        Side A: Happy Christmas
     Sat In Your Lap / Lord Of The Reedy River:
        Side A: Well done JB 1st dan
        Side B: Thank you Donovan
                [Donovan wrote Lord Of The Reedy River]
     The Dreaming / Dreamtime:
        Side A: For Rolf
                [Rolf Harris]
     There Goes A Tenner / Ne T'Enfuis Pas:
        Side A: Rays
                [TSF: yes]
     Cloudbusting / Burning Bridge:
        Side A: For Peeps
     Hounds of Love / The Handsome Cabin Boy:
        Side A: Woof!
     This Woman's Work / Be Kind To My Mistakes:
        Side A: "Up yours Ugly!"
     The Red Shoes / You Want Alchemy:
        Side A: One for the Archers
                [= M. Powell + E. Pressburger]
        Side B: Buzzzz

     12" maxi singles:

     Hounds of Love:
        Side A: Woof!
     Rubberband Girl:
        Side A: Whack It On
     Moments Of Pleasure:
        Side A: Alive and Kicking

     LPs:

     The Kick Inside:
        Side A: Remember yourself
                [also on the Portugesian release!]
     Lionheart:
        Side A: Hope you like it
     The Whole Story:
        Side A: KT
     The Red Shoes:
        Side A: For H

     This list might not yet be complete, I'd appreciate further info.  So
     far there are contributions from [EML], [RG], and [WW].

[This section is completely new. Any additions are welcome!]

4.12.Kate Bush World Wide Web (WWW) pages

     Stev0 [SB] provided the following reviews, since I still don't have WWW
     access at home I cannot comment on these.

     The Very First Page to Visit:

     Ultimate Band List Kate Card
        http://american.recordings.com/WWWoM/cgi-bin/ubl?card+1032

        This is part of the excellent Ultimate Band List, which you should
        definitely bookmark:

     Ultimate Band List
        http://198.147.111.1/WWWoM/ubl/ubl.shtml

        This is the 'mother of all musical web pages', by far the best general
        source for music information on the web, because it lists almost all
        other resources, including the above Kate Card.

     Top-Notch Bookmark These And Come Back Often Pages:

     Cloudbusting:  Kate Bush in Her Own Words
        http://scott.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~rjc/hyper_cloud/cloudbusting.html

        This is Ron Hill's "Cloudbusting" book (see also section 4.9)
        in a great hypertext format.  Also lots of other resources for
        the Serious KateFan(tm).

     David Benson's Kate Page:
        http://www.acy.digex.net/~dobenson/kate.html

        Some of the BEST photos of Kate I've EVER seen.

     The UWP music archives:
        http://archive.uwp.edu/pub/music/artista/b/bush.kate
        ftp://ftp.uwp.edu/pub/music/artists/b/bush.kate/

        The first is just a webbified version of the latter, which is the ftp
        version of the UWP music archives.  You'll find everything here, though
        only via FTP directories: lyrics, pictures, The Garden, Cloudbusting,
        Moments of Pleasure, and the love-hounds archive. See also sections
        6.1 and 6.2.

     Really Great Must-See Pages:

     The Garden:
        http://remus.rutgers.edu/~woj/garden/index.html

        IED's stunning E-text, "The Garden", in an HTML format done by woj.
        Drawback:  Still heavily under construction.

     The Kate Bush Musical Extraveganza:
        http://actor.cs.vt.edu/~wentz/index.html

        This is done by Brian Wentz <wentz@vt.edu>, and mostly features
        digitized songs by Kate (two from each album), and a digitized
        interview(!) - which, at 10 Meg, is not for those with less-than
        robust computers.

     Lionheart
        http://136.169.23.78/Lionheart.html

        Run by Stuart Wilsdon.  This site has lots of lyrics, lots of images,
        and lots of other nice stuff.

     Under the Ivy:
        http://area51.upsu.plym.ac.uk/~garrick/kate_bush.html

        Nice scans from Top of the Pops, info about Homeground and gatherings
        of KateFans.

     See These Pages When You Have the Time:

     Experiment IV:
        http://www.aitec.edu.au/ExpIV/

        Nice layout of stuff that's going to come "Real Soon Now".
        Drawback:  Page is all excited about "Kate's soon-to-be released album,
        'Never For Ever'."

     Sony Music's "Official" Kate Bush Web Page
        http://www.music.sony.com/Music/ArtistInfo/KateBush.html

        This page mostly covers information in this FAQ and offers some nice
        photos seen never before.  Sony Music is the label Kate has been signed
        with in America since The Sensual World.  Unfortunately, there's not
        much more than these three interesting GIFs.

     Minor Kate Pages:
     (they may be tiny, but they're mostly worth seeing)

     Marcel's advertisement for his "Kate Covered" project:
        http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/marcel/katebush.htm

        If you want to join the crowd doing cover versions of Kate songs for
        Marcel's project, check this out!

     The Illustrated Guide to Kate Bush:
        http://www.icom.ca/cgpinc/kate.htm

        This is about the book with the same name (see section 4.7).

     The Lovehounds T-shirt Page:
        http://www.chaco.com/~stev0/lhshirt.html

        This shows Stev0 wearing a love-hounds T-shirt (see section 1.5).

     Music Kate Did for Fruitopia Commercials:
        http://www.click3x.com/spots/fruitopia.html
        http://www.click3x.com/spots/fruitopia95.html

     The Red Shoes discography:
        http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~st/kt93.txt

        This is Scott Telford's compilation of The Red Shoes related releases.

     Obligitory Yahoo Link:
        http://www.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Music/Artists/Bush__Kate/

     To use these services you need a direct internet connection and a WWW
     client, for example Mosaic.  WWW is a worldwide multimedia hypertext
     document system where you basically can use your mouse to navigate
     through myriads of documents all somehow linked to each other.

[This section (moved from 4.11 due to the new 4.11) was completely redone
with the aid of Stev0's reviews]

7.   Credits

     DC2:   David Clarke <ac151@freenet.carleton.ca>
     EML:   Emmy May Lombaerts <lombaeg@donald.interpac.be>
     NB:    Norman Buchwald <nbuchwa1@ix.netcom.com>
     RG:    Ronald Girardin <Ronald.Girardin@Dartmouth.EDU>

[Three new entries - DC2, EML, RG - and one address change - NB]

--
"Ein 32-Bit-Betriebssystem fuer uns?" - "Wozu? Wir haben doch zwei mit 16."
[IBM ad promoting OS/2] "Bah, ich habe 4 mit 8!" [comment from Sven Wachter]