Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

French Grammar

From: MCQUARRF@ucfv.bc.ca
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 12:31:26 -0800 (PST)
Subject: French Grammar
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
CC: love-hounds@gryphon.net, MCQUARRF@ucfv.bc.ca
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

In a previous post (which I lost :( ) someone stated that "le professeur" was
correct French grammar for both female and male teachers.

If this is the case, please explain to me why I just finished a mailing for a
bilingual organization that went to "Cher Professeur" (Dear [Male] Professor)
and "Chere Professeuse" {Dear [Female] Professor).

Technically, the single gender term is correct. But in actual usage, there are
more and more job-descriptive nouns that are recognizing that both men and
women do those jobs. It's that feminism thing, you know :)

Cheers, Fiona
une professeuse