Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A new (old) volley into the Gaffa wars

From: Wieland Willker <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 13:01:43 -0100
Subject: A new (old) volley into the Gaffa wars
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Subject: Lovehounds -the history, Gaffa -the TRUTH: 2 theories

Repost from the archive:

------------------
THEORY 1:
------------------
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1991 12:01:32 -0700
From: aurs01!aurxc3!whitcomb@mcnc.org (Jonathan Whitcomb)
Subject: A little history...

>1. Is this group JUST for Kate? It appears to be totally obsessed with
 her.

Actually when this group was founded 72 years ago in Sri Lanka it was
originally intended for afficianados of hunting dogs and other canines
pressed into manual labor. The orignal name of the group was "Amos Canis
Woofis", and was written on dried leaves and spread from town to town by
passing merchants. Occasionally, some of the written passages were so
controversial that readers would burn the leaves in anger, leading to the
modern term "flaming". Many found that inhaling the smoke of the burning
leaves caused a hallucanatory effect, and thus smoking leaves became more
popular than reading them in some areas.

Traffic on the group was light, but started to pick up in the 60's when
some of the free love fringe mistook the title (by then "Hound-Lovers") to
imply more intimate relationships between man and his best friend. The name
was then changed to "Love-Hounds" to avoid any further confusion.
By 1986, the group was an entirely electronic media, and the release of
Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love" album brought so much traffic to discuss this
album and the artist that the original hard core group of hunting dog fans
split off to form another group, the well known and highly read
rec.pooches.kill.bad.deer.yeah. Since that time the Kate Bush crowd has
dominated the group, although lately it seems that a religious cult based
around holy relics created, used, or discarded by the recording artist is
gaining favor.

>2. Where did the group creators get the word "gaffa" and what does it
    mean?

"Gaffa" (as has been explained ad nauseum in this forum) is another Sri
Lankan word referring to the mental state achieved by those smoking too
many of the leaves this group was originally printed on.

>3. I'm more into the Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance etc. Is this the place
    for me or should I get lost?

As long as you make the occasional kowtow to the Bush crowd and say the
appropriate holy words and use lots of initials to refer to albums and song
titles, welcome. You may find after a few days reading this group that
getting lost was the safer option, however. Of course, we try to be open to
new thoughts and ideas, so if you do indeed *want* to get lost, don't feel
anyone here is pressuring you to do otherwise. It's just that we don't want
everyone to get lost together, because then invariably someone will know
where they are and the whole excersize would be pointless. But do what you
want.

>4. Is Kate on the 4AD label? Just what IS the 4AD label anyway, and who is
    on it beside the above two groups?

Kate is not on the 4AD label. The 4AD label originally started many years
before 4 A.D., and was responsible for such works as the Rosetta Stone and
the Shroud of Turyn. They continue publishing artifacts by little known or
dead societies for the amusement of archeologists and necrophiliacs. Other
well known acts include "Thrown Mooses", "Clone of Xerox" and "The Picked
Seeds".

>Thanks for any answers!

We are here to inform and entertain (as well as occasionally inflame and
irritate).

>Ben Discoe, radical ecologist, computer scientist, geometer, amigoid

Jonathan Whitcomb, racial egotist, commuter psychic, geometry, ohmygod

THEORY 2: