Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Why don't most people like "The Sensual World?"

From: barnster <notme@ix.hell.com>
Date: 17 Jan 1996 19:57:51 GMT
Subject: Why don't most people like "The Sensual World?"
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

To Katefans,

It seems as if I've been taking lots of heat because I opined that
Kate might have peaked.  Well, I'm only being honest.  I hope that
we all can be honest with our opinions and not be a bunch of lemmings.
If someone out there thinks all Kate has done is good, then great for
them!!!

Honestly, I feel there are lots of good songs in TRS, like "Song of Solomon."  But
the collection of those songs, plus a few clunkers, doesn't work well
as a whole like her prior albums.  The songs I don't like are just plain
redundant and formulaic.  "Rubberband Girl," "And So Is Love," especially
"Big Stripey Lie," "Why Should I Love You," and a few others, have boring
repetitive chord progressions.  Many songs from the "Sensual World" have
song structures far more innovative than today's pop songs.  Gosh,
"Rubberband Girl" was trying too hard to be a hit, for god's sake!!!
(I admit I do like the techno version.)

Well, I would like very much to hear more responses, positive or
negative, to TSW.  I'm befuddled as to why some people loved it
while others despise it.

Joy to all,

barney