Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: commercial wirh wuthering heights

From: "Forward, Jonathan" <JForward@sitgbsd1.telecom.com.au>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 96 09:54:00 EST
Subject: RE: commercial wirh wuthering heights
To: "rec.music.gaffa" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Encoding: 35 TEXT
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

>  Date: Tuesday, 16 January 1996 10:24PM
>
>  hey there all
>          well i've never posted before but i've had a great time reading
all
>  that you out there have written.   Please excuse the repetition if what
im
>  going to say is old news....
>          i was just in spain for christmas break and one day while the tv
>  was on and i wasn't paying much attention i heard a tune that i knew
quite
>  well.  i immediately looked up from what i was doing and realized that it
>  was 'wuthering heights'.  it was for a perfume commercial,  i think it
was
>  called 'Zinnia' or something like that.  well anyway it was quite short,
>  about ten seconds or so, and i'm not even sure if whoever was singing (it
>  definitely wasn't Kate) was singing the correct words.  it was actually
quite
>  a horrible rendition, in way too high an octave even for Kate, and
consisted
>  of the part ofthe song that goes "it's me i'm Cathy, i've come home. It's
so
>  cold, let me into your window...".

 Wuthering Heights has also been used in an icecream commercial in Adelaide.
 "So cold" - get it? It was definitely Kate, although it sounds slightly
speeded
 up, no doubt to make the excerpt fit into a 15 or 30-second slot. I haven't
 heard the perfume ad so I can't comment on it, although Kate would have to
be
 paid royalties on it whoever performs it. One paragon of 20th century music
 going once... going twice... SOLD! to the highest bidder and lowest
lifeform.