Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TRS

From: nbuchwa1@ix.netcom.com (Norman Buchwald)
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 02:48:12 GMT
Subject: Re: TRS
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

kln@a.crl.com wrote:

>I personally would not call TRS a decline.  It was intended from the start to be
>different . . . remember that interview with Del where he says they wanted to
>come up with songs that could be done on stage since they were planning to tour?

>These songs have a structure that would make them easier to render on stage with
>a bank than, say, most of HOL which would require lots of pre-recorded support
>sound and would restrict possible improvisation.

>MacWorld was a zoo!

>Top of the City is one of the best songs ever written by anyone!

>My not very humble opinion, Karen  kln@a.crl.com

The Red Shoes was new and different and had surprises.  Imagine if
Kate did a "The Dreaming" II or "The Tenth Wave" and it sounded
redundant and the same thing over again.  I'd choose the former
anyday.  Yes.  The background vocals of the "yeah yeah" got to be a
bit too much after awhile on TRS and that's mainly why it's not my
favorite album.   Not that Kate failed to make any great dance tunes.
"The Red Shoes" was excellent.  And if not for what feels to me to be
throw away lyrics, "Big Stripey Lie" would've been good, too.  That's
my humble opinion.

The Storm

We all have a dream . . . maybe?