Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TRS

From: pmramey@ix.netcom.com (Paul M. Ramey )
Date: 14 Jan 1996 04:35:01 GMT
Subject: Re: TRS
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

In <199601122338.AA26627@A.crl.com> kln@a.crl.com writes:

>I personally would not call TRS a decline.  It was intended from the
start to be
>different . . . remember that interview with Del where he says they
wanted to
>come up with songs that could be done on stage since they were
planning to tour?

>These songs have a structure that would make them easier to render on
stage with
>a bank than, say, most of HOL which would require lots of pre-recorded
support
>sound and would restrict possible improvisation.

That's very true...especially with "Rubberband Girl" and "Eat the
Music" (the two teenage American smash flop singles, as Zappa would
say). Both are extremely simple songs that lend themselves to
improvised solos (RG = 1 chord, EtM = 3 chords). Actually, one of the
reasons I dislike the extended mix of EtM is that I keep expecting one
of the horn players (or somebody) to cut loose during the instrumental
passages, and instead I get the rhythm section repeating the same 3
chords over and over and over for 10 minutes.

Paul (PMRamey@ix.netcom.com)